THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Gunsmithing    should I glass bed stock w/ aluminum bedding block?

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

should I glass bed stock w/ aluminum bedding block?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just got my barreled action back from my gunsmith yesterday. It's a Lilja 30"x 1 1/4 stainless w/ a muzzle break chambered in 6x284Win. I want to put it back on my HS Precision stock. I've already enlarged the barrel channel and installe in back on to make sure it was free floated.
My question is this. Should I glass bed it even though it has an aluminum bedding block in it already. And, would it be beneficial to bed the first 4 inches of the barrel also. The barrel is around 11 lbs by itself . That seems a little heavy to be bearing on the action screws w no other support. Any help is appreciated. This would be my first bed job.

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would shoot it as is and see...then shoot it with a shim under the chamber and see which shoots best, that's the bottom line...then decide if I want to bed the chamber area.

Posts: 42156 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts on the bedding block are this: it is a step in the right direction, but does not go far enough. If you remove a factory barrelled action from a bedding block stock, you will notice on the bottom of the action, a few small wear marks where the action has been riding the bedding block. There is frequently uneven wear indicating the action is not sitting squarely in the block. The bedding block is a modified "V-block" and cannot possibly be as perfect a fit as a properly bedded one due mostly to manufacturing tolerances. I always recommend bedding one of these to obtain optimum accuracy. With that heavy a barrel, I would think it prudent to bed about 2" in front of the recoil lug. While you are at it, free up the bottom sides and front of the recoil lug.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the replies, this my first custom gun/chamber/wildcat and its been a chore. why would I want to free up the recoil lug? I thought you would want that it contact w/ the receiver. Please explain. I do think bedding part of the barrel is a good idea. That barrel is heavy, and it seems like a lot of stress on the action screws

Posts: 94 | Location: Tri-Cities, WA | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Basically, the only place you want the recoil lug to touch is on the backside. It should be free on all the other surfaces.

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote