New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is needed to fit this barrel?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi guys I am going to by this barrel for my 1894.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/882400.htm

I called numrich and they say its ready to go, just needs switching. Has the thread and chamber cut, as well as dovetails.

Obviously a barrel vice and an action wrench.

What about go and no go gauges, will the timing work out for all Winchester 1894 rifles are all slightly unique?

I am just concerned with head spacing and having it threaded to the correct point. My concerns may or may not be justified, I know nothing on this subject.

I have two friends who have changed barrels before, one said he could do it no big deal, the other that if the timing is wrong, you may have to take a touch off or shim it and if its a mile off rework the thread and cut a new chamber, requiring a chamber cutter. Which one of them is right?

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Barrel vise. You already have a barrel vice or you wouldn't be posting here.
And the "action wrench" is a big crescent wrench. 94 barrels are not on tight at all.
Both of your fruends are right; but note that the second guy said "IF...". Which is true.
I have not used one of these barrels but I assume they timed the threads and chamber rim depth. Headspace on these can be, and often is, generous and presents no problems on these low pressure cartridges. So they should be made to crank right on and shoot. Get one, and then tell me what happens when you try to install it. I can fix it if it does not fit. Oh, I see you are down under. That might be a problem.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So really it comes down to luck, and how precisely the barrel has been machined to suit the action of an 1894?

Hopefully it has been machined to time correctly, its not an expensive barrel!

Posts: 49 | Location: Australia | Registered: 03 December 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On pre-64 Model 94's the timing will usually be correct. The same is true of Model 70's and 54's. On post-64 models, it's a crapshoot. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3586 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yes, it all comes down to how precisely the barrel was made. Only way to find out is to try it.

Posts: 17190 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote