New
Find
Notify
Tools

Unusual Short M98 Firing Pin
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I took a BRNO Mauser action in trade recently. In the process of going over it before selling it, I noticed that the firing pin wasn't protruding through the bolt face. That's when I noticed that the firing pin is a little over a 1/4" shorter than a full-length M98 pin. Below are a couple photos of the pin compared to a full-length pin from an FN M98. What do I have here? Is this pin possibly for a Kurz action?

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like an intermmediate length firing pin. Most often used in M48 and 24, 24/47 Yugo Mausers but also in other models.

Posts: 3713 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I just measured an FN Model 24, which is an intermediate length as mentioned above, which is .200 shorter than a standard 98 firing pin. Sounds like someone put one into your BRNO and didn't notice it.

Posts: 17182 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone want to trade a standard pin for this one, or buy the whole action for $200?

Posts: 2148 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Is your BRNO action a VZ24?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
must be for a short mag hilbily

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think it's a large ring M98 but I don't know the variations. Here is a link to photos: http://s396.photobucket.com/us...NO%20Mauser%20Action

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It's Turkish, made at BRNO. Model of the rifle it came from was the 98/22 and it should be a standard length large ring, 98. Would make a good sporter.

One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
It's had a bit of heat on the rear of the bolt when the handle has been altered for a scope, hopefully the cocking notch has retain its correct hardness?

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
That don't matter; it can be re-hardened if necessary. They work even if soft but don't last as long but for sporters that see light use, still works.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vol717:
Does anyone want to trade a standard pin for this one, or buy the whole action for $200?

If you haven't found one. I have a std pin I will send you.
Don

Posts: 1084 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote