New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Contour Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm currently planning a singleshot bench gun for my entertainment.

Action is a Remington Rolling Block that will be rebarreled to 7-30 Waters AI.

The barrel will be either a 24" Shilen Match or Douglas Ultra Match. I'm planning on using the rough turned blank without any finishing or contouring.

Beauty is in what it does, not how it looks in this particular instance.

Other thasn weight (approximately 7.65 lbs) are there any issues that should concern me?

Thanks for your opinions.

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<Pablo>
posted
Jeff,
Why such a shor bbl? Longer will present more pleasing profile for the large R/B action, and it can always be shortened later, but never made longer.
quote:
Originally posted by retired jeff:

The barrel will be either a 24" Shilen Match or Douglas Ultra Match. I'm planning on using the rough turned blank without any finishing or contouring.

Other thasn weight (approximately 7.65 lbs) are there any issues that should concern me?

jeff

<Pablo>
posted
Jeff,
Why such a short bbl? A longer one will present a more pleasing profile for your R/B. You can always make it shorter, never longer

quote:
Originally posted by retired jeff:

jeff

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,
You would be well ahead to put a 60 degree center drill in both ends and then turn it on centers so you at least know the bore is centered in the barrel. It isn't always.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Funny you should say that, my smith has said the Shilen is the worst for off center holes and Pacnor is VERY good... straight too.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I knew that I was missing something, just couldn't figure what it was.

Thanks guys, I appreciate your input and logic. All suggestions will be incorporated.

Thanks

jeff

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Retired Jeff--

I'm curious why you would want to build a "bench gun" on one of the most inaccurate actions on the planet.

By it's very design it violates every rule of accuracy.

The RBs are great for building period rifles but off the bench they tend to shoot like ping pong balls........

.......with bubble gum stuck on one side.

[ 01-27-2003, 19:40: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
That's a fair question.

Perhaps my use of 'bench gun' created an incorrect image.

The 'bench gun' will be used on the bench, not in the field and seldom used awfulhand. I did not intend to confuse it with BR as in competition.

My latest singleshot is a CPA Stevens 44 1/2 action with the 52 Junior Schuetzen stock. This is a switch barrel falling block action with three tubes. Badger 26" in 218 Mashburn, Douglas XX 28" in 30-40 Krag and another Badger 30" in 38-55. All three barrels are producing sub moa 5 shot groups on the bench. Rifle weight with Lyman STS is 11+ pounds. see http://groups.msn.com/BPCR/jeffsstuff.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=103

Incidently, I plan to be shooting primarily cast gas checked silhouette bullets.

Regards

jeff