New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rechambering question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a barrel in 220 Swift 40 degree A. I. that I'm not using. It's a varmint weight barrel that's fluted. It's basically a straight taper, without the "step" or "shoulder" of a factory contour barrel. The flutes start probably 6" or so in front of the recoil lug. I figure that should give me room to maneuver somewhat.

How feasible would it be to set it back and rechamber it to 22-250, or even 22 BR (I know, but I have a reamer for my gunsmith to use, and besides, hey, I ain't never had one of 'em before Razzer ).

I'm trying to think of something to chamber it in, with a full diameter body, so that rules out the 223 etc, so that I can set it partially back, and then "clean up" the remainder of what's cut already. How far back will I need to move it to get to the point in the Swift A.I. chamber that I can reach the diameter of a "standard" chamber shoulder?

Any other suggestions? (I'm really not interested in other wildcats, or Weatherbys).

I'm heading to my gunsmith's tomorrow evening just to BS, and thought I'd go in with some sort of idea to toss out about redoing this barrel.

Thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think you would have to find someone (Dave Kiff maybe) who would have the dimensions of the 220AI chamber at the shoulder. You would then be able to find how much you will need to cut off. Either that or have your gunsmith make a chamber cast and measure that.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5521 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cold Bore
A 220 Ackley 40 is .4350 at the shoulder and that is 1.7970 from the head of the case. These numbers are from a Dave Kiff reamer drawing. That was easier for me than trying to measure my Dave Kiff reamer. Regards Jerry

G. D. Stockinger
N.R.A. Life Member

www.cliogunshop.com

Posts: 154 | Location: Clio, Alabama | Registered: 17 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

I think I can figure it out now with the shoulder info.

A chamber cast probably makes sense too as a "verifier". (Cerro-Safe is cheap insurance!)

Thanks again!

one of us
posted Hide Post
This is an interesting site for various cartridge measurements.Cartridge Measurements

Les

Posts: 1261 | Location: Clearwater, FL and Union Pier, MI | Registered: 24 July 2003Reply With Quote