New
Find
Notify
Tools

How much can a Savage 110 handle?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the most powerful cartridge I can chamber in a standard long action Savage 110? With one recoil lug and two screws holding everything together, will it take the recoil of a 375-06 wildcat or 416 Taylor? Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Savage 110 can handle a lot. The factory builds it for the 458 Win Mag. In Sierra's 5th Edition Reloading Manual, they use a Savage action for many cartridges including the 300 Rem Ultra Mag, the 340 Wby, 338 Rem Ultra Mag, the 375 RUM, and 458 Win Mag. Remember a magazine article a few years ago where a 224 Eargensplitterloudenboomer was built on a Savage action.

Know personally of one 416 Taylor built on one.

Hammer

Posts: 1003 | Registered: 01 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I understand the Savage is chambered for powerful cartridges, but I need to know if the standard 110 model can take them. The 116 SE is the only model in 458 winchester. It has two stainless crossbolts to hold things together. Will the standard 110 action without the crossbolts hold up when chambered for the 375 whelon (375-06) Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
If I understand your question correctly you are concerned if one underlug is enough for that much cartridge? Depends on the stock material, not the action. Yes in a hardwood or good quality synthetic; maybe not in an injection-molded (too much flex) or in a laminated without at least one crossbolt (they split real easy). If you want extra peace of mind, have your gunsmith change out the factory recoil lug for one of the thicker aftermarket types for about $25.

As far as the action goes, it is as strong as any other production action out there. All the guns are made on the same 2 actions, long or short. There is no "magnum" size for the bigger rounds unless I missed an announcement for 2004.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Tiggertate, all WSM's are now built on the magnum size receiver (barrel shank at 1.1055", .1" larger than the standard). This action is also somewhat of a CRF. HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote