THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping rifle question for other smiths?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
To all,

This is a dumb question, and I believe I know the answer so please bare with me.

As of yet, all of my customers have been local or at least they have all dropped off their firearms in person to my shop.

I recently had a customer call me wanting work done on a rifle that he will he shipping to me.

My understanding of the law from my ATF pack is that since the rifle is registered under his name and since there is not transfer of ownership, I can receive the rifle, work on it and return it directly to him.

Am I correct in this or do I have to return it to another FFL holder. I do not believe I have to do this but just want to hear it from Smiths doing this on a regular basis.

As I said, all my work has been local to date, so just want to make sure I'm reading the legal stuff correctly.

Thanks for the information!

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
I have the same understanding as you and have always done it that way.

Shipping handguns is another matter (through the Post Office). They require shipping the handgun FFL-FFL.

You could always ship the handgun through UPS (ick) or Fed EX.

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The law you are questioning covers both handguns and long guns. Handguns my be shipped by NON FFL holders to FFL holders for repair or work and returned to the original owner/shipper. Some shippers have differing rules for long guns and handguns, but the federal law covers both.

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Do gunsmiths have a preference for shippers? It's been so long since I sent something out I can't even recall all the options but I have some needs in the near future...

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fifty,
That is assuming you have an FFL. You have to log it in just like any firearms that are brought in. Said that because until recently your profile showed another occupation. If you are new to doing this professionally you do have to have an FFL.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bobby,

legally it may be all right to ship a pistol from non-FFL to FFL, but you won't find a carrier to do it. I checked on this, ended up having to have a local FFL ship a pistol for me. As I remember it was just a bit more than the shipping cost that they charged me. This was within the last 6 monthst that I did this.

Red

Posts: 4740 | Location: Fresno, CA | Registered: 21 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Bobby

You have to remember that the ATF and Postal Service are different entities.

The PO have their own rules and it states that handguns go from FFL to FFL. Period

Posts: 1634 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
USPS is fussy, but I have never had any hassle shipping non-FFL to FFL, or vice-versa, using both Fed-Ex and UPS.

UPS rules seem to vary according to office through which you are shipping. For instance, shipping from Phoenix, AZ, they used to require that any firearm package insured for more than $1,000 had to be left unsealed until they had inspected it. At the local (Roseburg, Oregon) office, they couldn't care less.

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
AC

Ditto

one of us
posted Hide Post
Customox,

When I started on this board, my main occupation was not gunsmithing but since then things have changed.

I have had an FFL for several years though. It would be very difficult to be a gunsmith without an FFL. This would mean that no firearm could be left overnight by its owner. All work would have to be done on sight while the owner waited for the firearm.

I am definately fully licensed to to a Gunsmith.

Good Shooting!!!

Posts: 701 | Location: Fort Shaw, MT | Registered: 09 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, just wanted to make sure I was reading that legal crap correctly. Legal language is not the easiest stuff to read and understand.

Thanks again,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Fiftydriver,
I just wanted to make sure. Some folks just stumble into this without one and continue on. Surprising that they would but it happens.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just curious, I'm not an FFL holder or gunsmith. But a couple of times in the past I have mounted scopes for friends. I did it as a favor, no money. Within the law?

Rob

Posts: 1692 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote