New
Find
Notify
Tools

A couple model 70 Questions
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a Model 70 [pre 64]. The Magazine box is very tight where it go's into the bottom of the action and that would be ok I think. But when the front action screw is tightend, the floor plate in front of the hinge is very tight against the mag box. Could this be a problem with accuracy. When I bought the rifle [.270] it was about a 4 to 5 inch at 100 yd. gun. After messing with the bedding and changeing scopes [3 times] it now shoots about 2 inches most of the time. If thats all it will do for me that would be ok but was thinking maybe I could get it a little better.
Question # 2 Through the forearm and into the barrel is another screw on this gun it never made any differance if the screw was tight, loose, a little tight or loose, or removed from the gun. I was looking at this more cloely today and found out that the threads are buggered up so all the screw will go into barrel is 4 turns and there is a lot of threads left to turn in. Would anybody know what size tap I would need to chase the threads. Maybe thats why the barrel screw never made any differance, if it wasn't thightening up.
Thanks Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The tightness of the mag box in the action should be of no consequence. However, the bottom metal tight against the box will have an effect on accuracy. This should be relieved either by shimming out the front tab or removing some metal from the box. You should also determine if the front of the rear trigger bow is also touching the box. This should also be free and when installing the middle screw, just snug it up and back it off a half turn; the only thing that screw is good for is to hold the front of the trigger guard in place.

I would have to go down in the shop to measure the barrel screw for size but just let me say that the model 70 will probably shoot better with that screw out anyway. If you still need the size of it, email me with you request and I will get off my dead ass and go and measure it. I do have an extra one or two of those laying around anyway.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5508 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tony,
The barrels that Winchester made were of good quality and cut rifled. That being said, some were finished better than others.
Here is another thing for you to try. Make sure the barrel is free of COPPER fouling. On more than one occasion it has taken a couple days worth of cleaning, with Sweets, for me to get the barrel clean of copper. I have one now that will put 5, B-Tips into 3/4" or less consistantly as long as I clean every 8 rounds. After 7 or 8 shots the group looks more like a pattern.
Good luck and have fun with it.
Thanks,Doug

Posts: 478 | Location: Central Indiana | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply's. I think I will mill [dremel] the mag box untill the floor plate just clears.
The barrel screw seems to be fine after I filed about 2 threads off. I'll take it to the auto parts store and see if they can find a tat to chase the threads in the barrel.
Thanks again I think i'm on the right track Tony

Posts: 215 | Location: BRF mid west WI. | Registered: 28 February 2003Reply With Quote