New
Find
Notify
Tools

300wsm chamber question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone know if a 308 chamber would clean up running a 300wsm reamer in it?

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Yes it will. WSM is .2" longer and a whole bunch fatter.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks-I thought it might, but have not seen any drawings of the WSM case...

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
The biggest hurdle to get past if you want to convert a .308 into a .300 WSM is to get the action properly modified for reliable feeding, and then have a proper magazine box installed that will truly fit the .300 WSM cartridge. The original .308-size magazine box WILL NOT WORK. This is the biggest misconception that a lot of people work under when they contemplate a quick and easy (also cheap) conversion to a radically different cartridge. Rechambering is the easy part of the battel. The sometimes difficult and usually expensive part is in the proper (not half-assed, not jackleg) alteration of the receiver, bolt, extractor, and magazine box to make everything work as it should. This is the part that's tough and can cost some serious money.

Here's the best and most functional, cost-effective solution if you want a .300 WSM instead of your existing .308: Trade the .308 in on a .300 WSM. No other solution makes sense. A factory .300 WSM will have the proper bolt face, magazine box, magazine follower, follower spring, feed rails, etc., already in place. Believe me, the cost of altering a .308 to work as well as the factory .300 WSMs do would cost more than the retail price of a new .300 WSM from either Browning or Winchester!

That's why the trade-in idea makes the most sense, and not only that, but if the new rifle doesn't quite shoot to your liking, you can always have a new barrel installed. The action is timeless.........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your comments, and of course under normal circumstances you are perfectly correct. While I have converted many Mausers to "standard bolt face" cartridges, I have never done a magnum. Several reasons, one exactly the problems you mention. Basically, for me, it's a learning process-I would want to see exactly what problems are involved, and work through them. The idea of the .308 bbl is to not have a lot of money tied up in case the project failed! (I am speaking here of doing the work myself, of course, not farming it out..)