New
Find
Notify
Tools

Most Aesthetic Coating for Custom Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am making a custom, walnut stock 9.3 x 62 on a VZ 24 action. Since, I plan on using this rifle in both Alaska and Africa, I thought one of the ceramic coatings vs. a rust blue might work better. Does anyone have a view on which of the synthetics is the most pleasing and would look most appropriate on a Turkish Walnut stocked rifle. Thank you for your assistance

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
go with rust blue. It is a very tough finish if done properly. Just add a coat of wax on it before going in wet weather and you will be amazed at how good it is at protecting your metal. The other coatings seem to scratch much easier than good rust bluing, and once the protective coat is scratched, you are screwed.

I do not have experience with the ceramic coatins, but I have a lot of experience with rust blue. It will take a lot of out right abuse. Given just a little care it will do all you need it to do.

And if your blank is very suitable for a rifle stock and has been dreid slowly and allowed to age for several years, then give it a proper finish and it will be more stable than many, or even most, synthetics. If it has funky grain, is pretty fresh blank, and has an inferior finish, then all bets are off.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
Ditto - Marc_Stokeld! Rust blue is the most durable of metal finishes with possible exception of Roguard.

http://www.robarguns.com/q_and_a.htm

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have you thought of a real nice fine bead blasting job,the parkerized.They have a nice matte type finish and looks good and is the MOST d durable finish,thats why the military uses it.And it is a blueish blak deep color. van

Posts: 442 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. Your opinions confirmed my suspicions.

Posts: 10702 | Registered: 28 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got my barreled action back from Robar today. One of my daughters had it done for me for my birthday. Turnaround was less than 6 weeks. It was done with NP3 on the barreled action and all internal parts, including the bolt. For those who absolutely must have a black finish, Robar also makes Rogard, but NP3 is the most durable finish I know of. Nothing is totally and permanently impervious to the elements and abuse from rough handling, but as NP3 wears, it continues to bring more lubricity to the surface. My barrel is a stainless Shilen and the action is a Sako M591 I bought in the white from Jerry's/Simmons. The finish is now a satin silver with a slight bluish cast. It looks and feels great.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SST, if you can post pics i would realy like to see them. Thanks Karry

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rust blue looks best on walnut bluied rifles, classy look IMHO

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
KLM300,
I've got a digital camera I've never used, and don't even know if I have the USB cable to make the hookup. I've never posted a picture online.

I got 2 barreled actions back this week. One from Robar (my 7-08AI), and David Christman just returned my M1999 with a new stainless match Shilen in .338WinMag that he bead blasted for the final finish. The NP3 finish is beautiful, but it is not dark at all.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had/still have rifles that have been parkerized and rust blued. Both held up with no problems up here.

I'm gathering parts for a 9.3x62 on a BRNO action and its gonna be parkerized.

A lesson in irony

The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing this year the greatest amount of free Meals and Food Stamps ever, to 46 million people.

Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us... "Please Do Not Feed the Animals." Their stated reason for the policy is because "The animals will grow dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."

Thus ends today's lesson in irony.

Posts: 1626 | Location: Michigan but dreaming of my home in AK | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO, Parkerizing is hardy but ugly. Robar and Gun-Kote is nicer and about as hardy.

Rust blue is the class act ... but not inexpensive if done properly. I would imagine that it might not hold up as well in very, very humid environments.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt blue looks pretty good to me, and is very durable in my experience. This one has been in a lot of slop already, and it hasn't even flinched.

I've got a rifle that is Cerrekoted (sp?) also, and it has proven very durable so far as well, over 2 years old, and it is really fresh looking after some tough field use.

Good Luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote