Find
Notify
Tools

Did Wichester make a single-shot M70?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of LongDistanceOperator
posted
Just wondering...in case I ever get around to having another custom rifle built.

Posts: 7578 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm working from memory here, but I believe I saw a picture of an "experimental" single-shot pre-64 Model 70 in Roger Rule's book.

"There are only three kinds of people; those who can count, and those who can't."

Posts: 1366 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe Winchester made about 25 of them. I have seen one. It would be highly unlikely you could find one. I have soldered a plate into the mag cutout on M70s to make a single shot and it worked out well. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I should mention that these single shots were of late '60's vintage. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3763 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well ok then. I will not ask if I can order one at Wal-Mart.

Thank you, gentlemen.

Posts: 7578 | Location: near Austin, Texas, USA | Registered: 15 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you want one it isn't very hard to make a block where the magazine fits into the action and silver solder it in. it's something i did long ago to a benchgun.

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Score High makes single shot followers for the M70 push feeds only.

Brownells

#804-000-005 S/A

#804-000-006 M/A

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most people miss the idea about the singleshot action!

The big advantage is that the lower locking seat gets suported a lot better if the steel still is there and not milled away to make the feeding rounds from the mag. possible. The locking of the action get´s a lot stiffer and reduces the flex.

I hear a lot of people talking about getting a stiffer action by going for a singleshot with the abilaty to support a heavy barrel without warping the action due to the barrles weight!?

This is of course tru as well, but my opinion is that the biggest thing about the single shot action is the added rigidy to the locking area.

I know many Sako Vixen actions with heavy barrels in .222 Rem and 6 PPC that shoot like a house on fire. But the cases get stiff to reload after a few reloads due to flex in the action.

Just my opinion on singelshot actions Wink

Stefan

The bitter taste of poor quality stays in the mouth far longer than the sweet taste of the low price!

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah the reason I was asking is for a stiffer action and more accuracy...or a better chance for it.

I do like Bill Leeper's idea of a plate soldered in place so the cartridge can load more smoothly.

posted Hide Post
They did make a few in the mid 60,s for target shooting teams. vangunsmith

Posts: 42 | Location: Northern. Calif. | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote