Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Model 30 -- Rebore to 9.3x62?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I love the old Remington Model 30 Express rifles and own a number of them chambered in .30-06. Another post about Remington Model 30 Express rifles got me thinking, are there any issues with reboring one to 9.3x62? Will the chamber clean up completely, twist rate okay for the bigger bullets, enough meat left on the barrel, feed okay? I really like the original look of the rifles and reboring would preserve the classic look since the sights, stock and everything else would remain the same. Thanks.

Mike

Posts: 21392 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Mike, I've done it to one of mine. Works perfectly. Dan at cutrifle.com did the whole sheebang.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Thanks Harry. I will give them a call.

Mike

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
Dan was in a booth at DSC... http://www.cutrifle.com/reboring.html i have a browning auto in 7 rem-mag that will be a .416 taylor when he gets through with it....

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post

I had Danny Peterson rebore my original Enfield bbl to 9.3x62. The 9.3 is a great round for conversion and don't fall for the old "the action is too big for that cartridge" line. As you can see the rifle is as slim and trim as a pre-64 M-70. Mine also has a 22 inch bbl with a slim mannlicher stock and weighs only 7 1/2 pounds.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot
NRA Benefactor www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Posts: 4202 | Location: Bristol Bay | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget Jim Dubell and Clearwater Reboring. He did an old ribbed Guild barrel for me to 9.3. Ed Shilen said it looked as good as any he had seen.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Phil,

That is one sharp looking Model 30. That rifle will be my inspiration to pursue this project.

Mike

one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post

Kind of like Making a racehorse out of a pig.

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not tried one, or is unwittingly commenting on their own marksmanship
Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello,
Who made your stock?
The lines are about perfect.
A true Riflemans rifle that will last generations, that's what you have there.

John coffee

Give me COFFEE and nobody gets hurt

Posts: 1608 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post

Lon Paul gets the credit for how nice the stock turned out. I sent Lon a pawn shop find, a thick, ugly, mannlicher stocked, 30-06 military Enfield, with roll-over cheek piece, white line spaces and ugly grip and he and Danny Peterson turned it into a light, lively and lethal bear killer.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

one of us
posted Hide Post
Did they redo the bolt handle or is it the camera angle that makes it look different than the P17?

thanks, Rob

Posts: 1682 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 458Win
posted Hide Post
Lon re-did the bolt handle and since he had to deal with an existing stock that was cut out for the original handle he made it fit the best he could without having to splice in a new piece of wood. One nice thing is that the handle shank is long enough and right over the trigger. I kept the cock on closing feature and the rifle is exceptionally smooth and quick to operate from the shoulder.
The ejector box also had been cut and re-worked on the rifle when I bought it.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master guide
FAA Master pilot

One of Us
Picture of Michael Robinson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 458Win:
. . . don't fall for the old "the action is too big for that cartridge" line.

Not too big. Ain't no such thing.

But it is a profligate waste of valuable space. Big Grin

Who wants bolt throw for its own sake? Wink

I think I'd have to go with the .577 Tyrannosaur if I was starting out with that behemoth!

Mike

Wilderness is my cathedral, and hunting is my prayer.

Posts: 13480 | Location: New England | Registered: 06 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike i know the feeling..

I'm lusting for the same conversion except in a Winchester mod 54.. Don't really know if it can be pulled off or not..

MopaneMike

Posts: 1110 | Location: Southern California USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote