Find
Notify
Tools

Borescopes
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of papaschmud
posted
While I realize that Gradient Lens corp has the market cornered when it comes to marketing borescopes to shooters. I wonder though if anyone else has tried any other brands to see if they might be able to give Gradient a run for their money perhaps at a lower cost.

I understand borescopes are pricey but $700 seems a bit much for something that will be used as a hobbyists toy.

I want to pay around $300. I want the VX 1 of borescopes. Any suggestions?

Gabe

Gabe

Pa to three sons
Sambone 5
Catcher 3
Heebies 1
Husband to one wife
the Cluck

Posts: 410 | Location: Granite City, WI | Registered: 10 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mens toys are supposed to be expensive. There are reasons Gradient has such a large customer base, their product is first class. When you are inspecting the condition of a rifles bore, you don't want something giving you a crappy image. Quality costs bucks.

That said, try here: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=46703

Posts: 1374 | Registered: 06 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy that bought one of those same scopes from Rutland tool and it ain’t bad. The optical quality isn‘t quite up to that of the Hawkeye’s...but for about $500 bucks less than a Hawkeye they work pretty well.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of xs headspace
posted Hide Post
I think the cheapo scope has a diameter too big for anything smaller than 30 cal. Note spec that says 1/4" closest focus.

Hippie redneck geezer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, you get what you pay for.

Hawkeye’s are precision optical instruments suitable for lab work and even macro photography, and the cheaper ones are handy little things for casual peeking into small inaccessable areas.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lanny, you make a good point. If you look on the item you can view the manual for the borescope. It says that the test portion diameter of the optical tube is 7.2mm or .283". So you are looking at .30 caliber and above.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Lanny, you make a good point. If you look on the item you can view the manual for the borescope. It says that the test portion diameter of the optical tube is 7.2mm or .283". So you are looking at .30 caliber and above.

I know there are .22 LR’s...but do they make real rifles in calibers smaller than .30? Smiler

One of Us
Picture of invader66
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick 0311:
quote:

I know there are .22 LR’s...but do they make real rifles in calibers smaller than .30? Smiler

NO!!!!! sofa

jumping

Semper Fi
WE BAND OF BUBBAS
STC Hunting Club

Posts: 1684 | Location: Walker Co,Texas | Registered: 27 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by invader66:
quote:
quote:

NO!!!!! sofa

jumping

I didn’t think they did, but thought I’d ask anyway just in case I had missed something! Smiler

posted Hide Post
Try searching EBay under Cystoscope or Endoscope. Just don't think to much about where its been.

Posts: 6 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Oh dear. We aren't going to get into a "size matters" thing in honor of the new color scheme, are we?

Glenn

Posts: 254 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 02 March 2005Reply With Quote