New
Find
Notify
Tools

scope movement
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Several months ago there was a discussion on what kind of adhesive could be used on the inside of the rings to prevent scope slippage on heavy recoiling rifles. Could anyone tell the name and where to get this product?
Thanks

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
The time-tested one is ScotchCote or ScotchKote (sp?) by 3M. It can be had at any electrical supply house or over the internet through Graingers or McMasters type places.

Posts: 11141 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use double stick tape.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C1PNR
posted Hide Post
Do I want to use this ONLY on heavy recoiling rifles? Or will, especailly the double stick tape, both hold the scope straight as I tighten the scope ring screws, and prevent scaring the scope itself? Thereby providing benefits when mounting any scope.

Regards,

WE

Posts: 312 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using teflon thread sealing tape for a year or so with excellent results . Stops scarring the tube and also scope slippage (which is why I tried it) . About 4 wraps around the scope tube works really well .
I found that adhesive deteriorates under pressure with other types of tape .

The hunting imperative was part of every man's soul; some denied or suppressed it, others diverted it into less blatantly violent avenues of expression, wielding clubs on the golf course or racquets on the court, substituting a little white ball for the prey of flesh and blood.
Wilbur Smith

Posts: 916 | Location: L.H. side of downunder | Registered: 07 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Properly aligned and lapped rings with a dusting of powdered resin will hold fine.A perfect ring fit and resin is the way to go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rws:
Properly aligned and lapped rings with a dusting of powdered resin will hold fine.A perfect ring fit and resin is the way to go.

. . . . or a perfect ring fit without resin. If a well-made ring is evenly and properly tightend on a scope tube there is no chance of slippage and no need of adhesives or gimmicks like plastic inserts.

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote