Find
Notify
Tools

Soldering on Stainless?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi, I just won an auction for a 475 BFR. I'm thinking that I may want to cut the barrel back some. It has a stainless barrel, can you silver solder on stainless?
I wonder if I could cut the barrel back from 7.5 to 5.5 and then turn a stainless barrel band/ front sight mount and solder it on??
Any thoughts on this?

Lar45

White Label Lube Co.
www.lsstuff.com
Carnauba Red high speed cast bullet lube.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lar,
I don't see why you can't silver solder on Stainless Steel. I've soldered guards on Stainless Steel knife blades, so it should work ok on rifle barrels too.
Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
You must find a solder and flux designed for stainless steel, just look at the label. A 95Sn 5Ag solder with appropriate flux works well and will stay bright.

One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
Silver soldering on stainless steel is definitely possible.

Most of the Stolle "Panda", "Teddy", and other action models by Kelbly's...which are probably the most numerous custom actions on the line at your typical benchrest shoot, all had 4-piece bolt handles (!!) which were held together (and to the bolt body) by silver solder. (Nowadays, they have one-piece bolt handles, but I believe the handles are still joined to the bolt bodies by silver solder.) All of those actions I have ever seen at a BR shoot are stainless actions. Though the Kelblys MAY have made some chrome-moly actions early on, I have never seen or heard of one.

It is true that in the past many of those bolt handles came off the bolt bodies, but that was because of poor coverage/fitting of the solder joint at the bolt body. I have never seen any of the 4 parts which compose the handle itself separate from either use or abuse.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lar

Some of the newer two part epoxy adhesives are as strong as most solders and stronger than the solders of just a few years ago. I mean, they are gluing together airplanes and boats and automobiles and electronics and who knows what else. Plus it's a lot easier to use than solder. I wouldn't use it to attach a bolt handle but a sight base . . . Just something to think about. Roll Eyes

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Somebody name me a silver solder that cannot be used on stainless steel...because I don’t know of any.

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The only SS Stolle, centerfire actions are the Grizzly's. All other centerfire actions by Kelbly's are aluminum with a steel insert. This includes Panda, Teddy and, Polar. BTW, yes SS can be silver soldered.

Posts: 868 | Location: maryland | Registered: 25 July 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
You'll find quite a few stainless receivers used on the custom benchrest actions usually 17-4, 15-4 or 416 stainless. The Kelbly Grizzly has a 416 receiver with 4140 bolt body. But, you won't find any of them with stainless bolts. Most bolts are made of 4140 cm or 4340. The Farley action uses a bolt made from S-7 tool steel. Allan Hall tried a stainless bolt when he first came out with his action. It didn't work as the bolt galled badly. He quickly switched to 4140. The Kelbly Panda has a 4140 steel locking lug ring inside the aluminum receiver combined with a 4140 bolt. I've never had a Panda gall.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You guys are right,my apologies...Stolle's that I have ARE aluminum bodied with steel inserts. My bolts certainly LOOK like stainless, as they have never dulled any in appearance and are brightly polished.but I suppose they could be anything. Anyway, sorry for the brain phart on the action bodies. Mea culpa.

Anybody know what the bolts are in the Nesikas?

Anyway, you still CAN solder to stainless.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4574 | Location: Valencia, California | Registered: 16 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Rick. I thought Nesika bolts were CM, and they apparently are...the web site lists them as such, anyway. The reason I asked is because some of the early Model J actions did not have the Borden Bumps, but some 'smiths have modified the bolts to the same level of fit when closed.

My AMT stainless BR action I suspect has a CM bolt also, but am not positive with it either, off the top of my head. (Never really mattered to me..it's just real nice to have an action you can actually win with which only cost me $420 when I bought it.)

Appreciate your help. Am quite embarassed that it completely slipped my mind that the Stolle actions aren't stainless. I have know that for over 10 years, 'cause I've been shooting them in competition since '93, but for some reason the correct brain-gear didn't engage when I typed that post.

Anyway, thanks again...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hell, I can barely recall what I had for breakfast most days! Smiler