New
Find
Notify
Tools

98 Cocking Piece? Trigger?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Have an issue with a 98 Mauser that was brought to us with a Timney trigger.

The action is essentially cock on closing.

The sear on the trigger is holding the cocking piece way too far back.

Normally, one would just shorten the cocking piece, but that would mean essentially milling off the cocking piece.

I know that there are at least four different 98 cocking pieces, and am wondering if this one is incorrect. It seems identical to all the rest of my cocking pieces.

The bolt is a mismatch to the receiver, but I'm not certain that is the problem. Is there a different Timney 98 trigger?

Any suggestions?

TIA

flaco

Also... I'm not certain I described the function here perfectly, but assume most everyone will understand what I'm trying to express.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I'm not had the issue with a Timney but did have it with a bold. They made 2 M98s the trigger and sear(actually the part that stops the cocking piece) were in different locations.

Timney lists a 301 for the M98, FN, MKX etc and the 302 for the Kar 98 and is also recommended for the Yugo M48.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Your sear may be "riding too high" Read the instructions that came with the Timney car efully

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The receiver is marked Mod. 98. This means Kar. 98k, doesn't it?

The customer supplied the trigger--and an $80 barrel he wanted fitted.

I tried to talk him into a better barrel, but no dice.

The placement seems so far off, I have to suspect wrong trigger.

And a moron who wants to use an $80 barrel.

Thanks,

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Timney trigger for a Kar98 is for the small ring Kar98 and is different from the Mod 98. Per ramrod340's info you need the 301 - not the 302 trigger.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So an $80 barrel makes the guy a moron? Any moron knows the difference between a Kar98 and a standard 98.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheesh, craigster-

I'm not gonna argue with you about $80 barrels.

I'd rather buy you a beer!

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Now that sounds like a plan! beer

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe the "guts" are exactly the same...the only difference is the trigger lever placement in the guard

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
And a moron who wants to use an $80 barrel.

I guess guys with $80 barrels are either too poor to own a computer, or too stupid to log on and see what you might be saying about them.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The action is essentially cock on closing.

The sear on the trigger is holding the cocking piece way too far back.

What's wrong with this picture? I thought the M98 cocked on opening, not closing. Could the gun have the wrong bolt? Both comments make me think maybe so.
Paul B.

Posts: 2814 | Location: Tucson AZ USA | Registered: 11 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry, boys-

I work in a target rifle shop, and shoot competitively at 600 yards. To me an $80 barrel is a waste of time.

It's cock on closing because of the extra effort to push the cocking piece too far back.

flaco

one of us
posted Hide Post
$80 barrel = Wheelborrow
$380 barrel = F-250

Both will do the job, but which one do you want for the long haul?

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are an F-250 mechanic and somebody brings you a wheelbarrow for repair you have two choices:

1. "Sorry sir, I don't work on wheelbarrows"

2. "When would you like it done by?"

Sorry, actually three choices...

3. Take the work and call him a moron in public.

Flaco chose #3.

Posts: 1138 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 07 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I agree with Duane, I had installed a Timney recently and had the same problem. The solution was in black and white with Timney instructions. Trigger to high! or sear to low. However you want to look at it.

Blagg Rifles, Eastern OR

Posts: 103 | Location: Eastern Oregon | Registered: 06 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I expect it's the zeitgeist.

Conflict everywhere.

I know and respect you, montea6b, but I'll stand by my judgment that it's foolish to spend twice as much to have a barrel fitted than you paid for the barrel.

We were given: a highly polished 98 receiver; a mismatched bolt; a Timney trigger; a pre-chambered barrel with a chamber not concentric to the bore.

You're correct. We're not general gunsmiths. We build target rifles, among the best in the nation.

Our rifles win.

I would not have taken the job, but my boss did, and I thought I'd take advantage of the great wisdom of AR to try and find a solution to the trigger problem.

I don't regret my actions, and since the client remains unnamed, I don't guess he's offended.

I will admit to surprise that I've offended the sensibilities of a few on AR.

LOL.

flaco

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
...since the client remains unnamed, I don't guess he's offended.

Absolutely.

quote:
I will admit to surprise that I've offended the sensibilities of a few on AR.

Naw, not really. (not this post anyhow!) Sometimes I shoot from the hip... As we all do from time to time.

I actually happen to agree with all your points above, I just wouldn't refer to a customer as a moron on a public forum, even if done anonymously.

The second round is on me! beer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I am just kibbitzing, I think he may be a fine fellow, but his taste in barrels is moronic.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I think you guys are being a little rough on the gun owner. Its his project , he has supplied what he believes are adequate parts to a business who has agreed to do the work.

flaco -the fact that his barrel cost $80 is neither here nor there - he supplied a barrel and it was agreed that the work would be done . If its beneath your dignity to work on such a lowly mixture of parts then the job should never have been accepted.

If , as you say , you make top of the line target rifles then making an acceptable sporter out of the parts you have to hand shouldnt be too difficult.I doubt the customer expects a masterpiece or work of art - he is probably just a guy on a budget doing the best he can.

At the end of the day calling the customer names wont do your reputation any good , and those others on here who jumped on the "moron" bandwagon should take a hard look at themselves too. We all have differant expectations from life but that doesnt mean we should treat others any differantly to how we would like to be treated ourselves.One or two of you should think about that before engaging the typing finger.....

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I appreciate your comments, muzza, and am not all that worried about tarnishing my reputation on AR.

As to shooting, well, I shoot Barnards.

I'm certain you've heard of them. May even shoot one yourself?

LOL.

flaco

N.B. You Kiwis are so gentlemanly.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well said Muzza, we need more people like you!

I can't believe some of the sh*t slinging that goes on this forum...

"Manners are the glue that holds society together."

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
quote:
N.B. You Kiwis are so gentlemanly.

Not really mate - in my head I was thinking " what an arrogant c**t - if you dont want to work on this guys budget project then your boss shoulda said no . Making arsehole comments about some-one you dont even know is real mature ."

but unfortunately I couldnt bring myself to type that. I dont think thats gentlemanly , more like not wanting to look like some of the folk here who enjoy putting the boot in when theres no-one to respond.

Sorta like a street gang or a dog pack - except you guys should all know a damn sight better.

End of rant .

certainly have heard of Barnard actions . Dont have one , but thats because I lean towards the $80 end of the market myself , and seem able to keep my freezer full with a variety of wildgame meat with my motly assort of bubba-ized mausers and other budget sporters. I cant imagine dragging a Barnard around for long in the country I hunt , and havent gotten used to the taste of that paper they make paper targets out of yet so really have no need for a top-of-the-market gun of any sort .

I hope you will put as much care and attention into that project rifle that you would lavish on your Barnard ? I mean , you have your standards to maintain now dont you ?? Wink

I'm done now.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4463 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by muzza:

I lean towards the $80 end of the market myself , and seem able to keep my freezer full with a variety of wildgame meat with my motly assort of bubba-ized mausers and other budget sporters. I havent gotten used to the taste of that paper they make paper targets out of yet so really have no need for a top-of-the-market gun of any sort .

I hope you will put as much care and attention into that project rifle that you would lavish on your Barnard ? I mean , you have your standards to maintain now dont you ?? Wink

I totally agree. Hope things work out for everyone. Paul

Posts: 323 | Location: Northeastern, PA | Registered: 21 June 2002Reply With Quote