New
Find
Notify
Tools

Richard's Micro-Fit Gunstocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Was thinking of ordering a replacement stock for a Rem 788 and was looking at Richard's. They seem to have a large selection on their website. Some of the others don't cut stocks for a 788.
Are they a good outfit to work with?

Thanks
Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
No. I've ordered 15+ stocks from them, I was happy with about 3 of them. Will never use them again.

one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
I checked out their facility and found that the inletting on their laminated stocks is about ten times better than that of the real wood stocks. Too bad I don't like laminates, much.

The problem I found is that their inletting is too generous and not what you would want on a nice rifle. If you don't mind unsightly gaps then they are a decent deal.

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have been waiting for my laminated LH Thumbhole Target since mid-July; no word yet on expected delivery date.

[ 10-30-2003, 03:00: Message edited by: rootbeer ]

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Someone have a link? I had a Netscape meltdown a little while back and lost all my bookmarks. Thanks. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I choose not to use them.

DO a search in this forum on the name, you'll see

jeffe

Posts: 39632 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try:

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

I've used 100+ of their stocks since about 1971. Good value. Definitely not a drop-in. Plan on doing some inletting and sanding. Usually I get delivery within their time frame but occasionally longer or much sooner.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here we go again.
Has anyone ever visited the Microfit shop? I am headed to the So-Cal area around Christmas and was thinking of stopping there to see what all the commotion is about. It might be worthwhile IF I can purchase on the spot and not have to wait to receive the correct stock.

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only bought one stock from them and am very pleased with it. It's AAA Fancy (Claro) or better and I paid $80.00 for it. They furnished the wrong pad but that would be my only complaint.
I guess I got lucky.
Stepchild
Frank, if you go to Richard's I would like to hear your opinion.

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
wallyw
Your link is to Richard's. Did you mean to include this or someone elses link?

Hollywood

Posts: 286 | Location: Capitol City TX | Registered: 06 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks gents. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9.3x62, I've seen that statement from you twice. Please elaborate, or don't make it at all. What were you displeased with? The grade of wood? The inletting? The service/delivery time? It is not fair to say something/someone is no good, but not provide any details.

Thanks.

Posts: 898 | Location: Southlake, Tx | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hollywood:
wallyw
Your link is to Richard's. Did you mean to include this or someone elses link?

Hollywood

I gave the link to Richard's Microfit because that was what was asked for.

Wally

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
[QB]Here we go again.
Has anyone ever visited the Microfit shop?
Yes, I've been there. Smaller than you would expect.

The REAL deals, are on stocks hanging up on the wall, that are over-runs, mistakes etc.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
"Here we go again.
Has anyone ever visited the Microfit shop?"

Uh, read my post. I live about 10 niles from their shop and have visited about half a dozen times. Small shop with freindly guys operating the sanders. Like I said, all the inletting I saw looked really good on the laminated stocks. The wood stocks however left a lot to be desired. The inletting rather than being undersized was oversized. That's why I said they are ok as long as you don't mind unsightly gaps. I would not order a really nice piece of wood for a nice rifle because of the poor inletting.

But, like Terry said, the real deals are those hanging on the wall to the left of the front door. These are seconds, or cancelled orders. So, by all means stop by if you are in the neighborhood. They do have some nice stuff, it is just too hit or miss for me to plunk down big bucks on a nice stock. For utility grade rifles they are good deal, especially if you can visit the shop and physically inspect the goods.

My second biggest complaint is the rosewood forend tips and grip caps and too many white spacers, uuugly!

Posts: 4863 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 07 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've had pretty god luck w/ Richards. I had some little gaps around the floorplate but a little bit of colored accuraglass fixed that.

They supply a stock with a lot of extra wood so you can shape it as you like. I always set the grip back, cut off the palm swell and rollover, etc.

If you ask, they will supply the fore-end tip and grip cap uninstalled: you can then install as you want without white lines. I like to use the rosewood grip cap as an insert in a Dakota skeleton grip cap - beautiful!

Posts: 345 | Location: Dauphin Island, Alabama, USA | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Concerning the forend tip and cap; is that really rosewood? Their catalog rifles look like rosewood and they explicitly say "dark rosewood" but the one I received and all the ones in their current website photos look much too light for rosewood unless its sapwood. It looks more like brazilian cherry.

Anyone got one lately with a DARK rosewood tip?

Thanks,

Dan M.

Posts: 179 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had several rifles with their stocks,and like them very well. I have a neighbor that does custom stocks and he also likes them. I have bought several of their blemished seconds, and like them better than the #1's. A little knot here, a little knot there. Adds character.And "gasp" I carry my rifles in the field.IMHO

Posts: 200 | Location: Tin Top .Texas | Registered: 21 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Frank Martinez:
[QB]
"Has anyone ever visited the Microfit shop?"
If I need a handle for my iron I drive over there and get it.The area isn't impressive nor is the shop. He does ,however, turn out a lot of usable wood. The stocks probably would appeal more ( but not entirely ) to the utillitarian than the artisticly inclined. It is more than likely that if you get one you will have to whittle,file, fill and sand for a while. He doesn't take all the fun out of it. If you visit and have time to hunt and select there is a good chance you will find and leave with something acceptable. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I get the impression from other's experiences and mine that Richards are not catering to guys who do professional quality work. I ordered form them , ..once. My stock was not what I ordered. It was the wrong style. They sent a custom rollover or modern classic, I forget which. I ordered the old classic.

They took it back without fuss. Like they do it all the time. Didn't seem to care about the problem either. Like they wold just sell it to some other schlub and maybe he wouldn't know enough to realize it was crap.

They seem fixated with the Weatherby styling. Personally I think they are tacky, non functional, and just plain ugly. When I was 16 years old I thought the Weatherbys looked great. I grew up and developed a little taste. Look at this stuff, keep in mind they are proud enough of it to include as advertisement.

http://www.rifle-stocks.com/photo_gallery.htm

Initially I contemplated working the one they sen into a classic. After I looke at it more closely I changed my mind. On mine, the "inletting" was oversized. Personally, I don't want any inletting. Just rough out some wood and get the action screw holes straight. That is all I ask, and they could not get it right. The action screw holes and inletting were not lined up with the bottom metal. There was not enough meat to make it work.

If you like racy thumbhole stocks, gobs of acraglass filling the mistakes,........in other words a stock that looks like a teenager's first attempt, Richard is your guy.

I take about 75 hours to do a classic stock. My quality is about 95% as good as the big names. You have to look awfully close to fine any faults. I can't afford to waste time with this company or their merchandice.

If you area beginner and don't know what "good" is yet, they may be OK. The second rate wood and defective stuff would be fine to practice on.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Sniper>
posted
So if you guys don't recommend Richard's who do you use?

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I sent an exhibition grade black walnut blank to Richards asking for a 90% inletted with the outside dimensions such that all I had to do was sand and finish. I'm totally capable of chiseling away at the interior until the barreled action fits. Hell, I full length glass bed anyway!

Richards left at least 1/4 inch on the outer perimeter that I had to remove myself.

I was real pissed and will never use themm again.

Ever remobe 1/8" from a shadowline cheekpiece?

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So Sorry about asking the quiestion of visiting the shop without reading every post. Would you guys that live nearby be willing to post directions or a map location? Thanks.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of z1r
posted Hide Post
8331 North San Fernando Rd., Sun Valley, CA 91352

www.mapquest.com

If you are coming from LA going north on the I5, exit at the Sunland Exit, Turn Left, Then Right onto San Fernando Blvd. It's a few Blocks down on the left.

[ 10-31-2003, 19:13: Message edited by: z1r ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have 3 Microfit laminates on my rifles, and I am pleased with them.

I should point out these are "knockaround" type bolt actions (including a Win Mod 70 404 Jeffery), and definetly not good looking pieces.

I have my Rem 788 in one (308), but in sanding/grinding I left the forearm a little too slim...but that was me, not them.

They are fine for working rifles (the laminates I mean). Good price for what you get...

Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
scot hit the nail on the head, I couldn't have said it any better...

Almost any other outfit will do a better job.

Posts: 360 | Location: PA | Registered: 29 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks you z1r. I'll let you know if I am able to find the stocks I like when I am there. I have downloaded some of the comment from this and other threads to give them. Maybe they don't know they are in need of a little improvement.
Frank

one of us
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with Scot. My father ordered two stocks from them, NOTHING was correct on the order -- including the style of one of the stocks. Other mistakes: asked for 90 degree, no white line forend tip, and NO rosewood cap on the pistol grip on one -- got a 45 degree tip AND grip cap, BOTH with white line spacers. Asked for round forearm on the other, got the ugly square Weatherby style. Also oversized inletting on one (didn't know it was oversized to begin with) -- inletting was indistinguishable on the two stocks, so one of them was wrong. Keep in mind, these are options that you have to pay extra for. That's four mistakes on two stocks.

We just made them work, as we didn't feel like sending them back for another long wait. But as a paying customer, you shouldn't have to do that. They should care enough of your business and your order to give you what you request.

Also ordered one stock from their 'seconds' list, and actually called and had the a person look at the specific stock in question. He said, 'Looks great, I don't know what's wrong with it.' Perhaps it was the way it was cracked almost in half through the recoil lug area?! That's the first thing that leapt out at me as I slid it out of the box (which was completely undamaged!), then slid it right back in. Two small slivers of wood along the sides, 1/4" on one side and less on the other, were all that was keeping it from being a two piece stock. My cost for a 15 second peek at the POS? I think it was about $12 shipping back to them.

Todd

[ 11-02-2003, 17:12: Message edited by: Todd Getzen ]

Posts: 1248 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got a stock for an A-5 from Boyd's that does not fit and is varnished or lacquered. If I fit the stock, I will have to sand and refinish every square inch of that stock to make it match.

--
A society that teaches evolution as fact will breed a generation of atheists that will destroy the society. It is Darwinian.

-

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote