New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stock making vise
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
No I don't mean a bad habit Smiler I want to make a vise for working on stocks, mostly inletting, and I need some ideas or photos. Any help would be very much appreciated.

Posts: 118 | Location: Price Utah | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This one is available at Midway for $83. After you spend 15 hours building it you might as well work at McDonalds for 10 hours and buy it.

Chic Worthing
"Life is Too Short To Hunt With An Ugly Gun"
http://webpages.charter.net/cworthing/

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
I use the same vise as above every day.

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic/Bill, do the jaws on that one swivel freely, or are they loosened and tightened when you get the right angle? I guess the question is, if you move from the butt which is fairly parallel, to the forend which could be a different angle (ok I would not clamp it at either extreme, but you get the idea of the question), do you need to adjust the bolts at the top of the jaws?

And how do you mount it to the bench?

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dempsey
posted Hide Post
The jaws swivel freely and it bolts from underneath the pedestal . It's a pretty good buy IMO. You might want to add something like hard rubber to the jaws.

Posts: 6205 | Location: Cascade, MT | Registered: 12 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats perfect and just what I was looking for. I can't believe that as much time as I spend in the Midway cataloge I haven't seen that. OBTW if I built that I'd be working for about a buck an hour! Thanks, I knew ya'll would come through.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dempsey, thanks! That is the info I needed. Now off to buy one.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chic,

Thanks for showing this vise. I've been looking for something like this for quite some time.

Roi

DRSS member

Constant change is here to stay.

Posts: 626 | Location: The soggy side of Washington State | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have a dealers license they are $20 cheaper.

Chic Worthing

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
great! Today I find out the vice is $65 at Midway. I just paid $110+tax for one at Woodcraft last week. Yet another brilliant business move on my part

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
ROFL Marc - uhh dont feel bad. I bought two from Woodcraft. CRYBABY

Posts: 1268 | Location: Newell, SD, USA | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marc_Stokeld:
great! Today I find out the vice is $65 at Midway. I just paid $110+tax for one at Woodcraft last week. Yet another brilliant business move on my part

Mark,

Don’t feel bad, I bought one years ago from NECG and paid almost $300 bucks for it! Although it did come with their totally useless little extension rest assembly that works great for knocking stuff off your bench, or just getting in the way whenever you rotate the vice. Smiler

Posts: 466 | Location: South West USA | Registered: 11 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Marc, I don't want to make you feel any worse but the price is $63 and not $65. So there is $2 more down the drain. Oh damn, I am evil. clap

Chic Worthing

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Customstox:
Marc, I don't want to make you feel any worse but the price is $63 and not $65. So there is $2 more down the drain. Oh damn, I am evil. clap

Ah put a hat on.....I can see the glare from here..... 2020

One of Us
posted Hide Post
How do you mount it?

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
There is a long bolt with a big wing nut. You have to drill a hole in your bench for the bolt and thread the wing nut on. Its a 5 minute job.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks.

one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
One other thing.....get some cork or hard felt and glue it to the wooden jaws. Helps with gripping the stock and avoids scratching when working on a stock thats already finished.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Has anyone tried to use one of these on a verticle mill?

One of Us
Picture of Timan
posted Hide Post
I made a set of six inch tall vise jaws for my mill for stock work, it gives my so much free range of set up that i can mill the flat for the grip cap, so the cap fits really flat to its surface.

As far as a stocking vise for the bench I've been thinking about an idea that uses a heinrich
sliding clamp set up, ecentric cam clamp. I think it would be a time saver, faster than always cranking that jaw closed after each position. On a heinrich clamp the handle slides the back jaw on a linear guide and the same handle also serves as a cam clamp for the moveable jaw. I'm going to get myself one and make a swivel base for it for stocking and stocking only.
Timan

Posts: 1228 | Location: Satterlee Arms 1-605-584-2189 | Registered: 12 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill Soverns
posted Hide Post
Make me one too....... Big Grin