New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm stw to 470 capstick
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
is this as strait forward on a new model 70 as it appears. New barrel, little feeding work and ready to go? I noticed that some barrels were being made by bauska and I have a line on the rifle, thinking that an inexpensive big boomer is possibly in my future.

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
should be pretty straight forward... order the barrel with a recoil lug

jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the recoil lug? I have never owned a rifle with one and wouldn't the lug negate the free float barrel the 70 is know for?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
It's to keep the stock from splitting due to recoil.

The .470 Capstick kicks a HELL of a lot more than the 7mmSTW; I know, I have rifles chambered in each of those cartridges.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
yep, it would ruin the freefloat...

and keep the recever from shattering the stock...

your call.. i made a bade decision on that, once, and replaced the stock TWICE...

btw, ALL new model 70s, 375 and up, have one
jeffe

Posts: 39660 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. My 375 H&H model 70 doesnt have one, so only going on that. is the recoil lug somthing the barrel maker leaves on when the barrel is contored, or is it "welded" on by the person installing the barrel?

Thanks

posted Hide Post
It can be integral (big money) or TIG'ed on after contouring.

George

Posts: 14623 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 22 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Without any magazine/follower mods, you stand a good chance of having some feeding problems. I make almost that same conversion, a M70 in 416 Rem Mag to 470 Capstick. I had to get a get a wider magazine and modify the follower. The 470 case is a bit wider at the shoulder than the 416 and 7STW. I don't remember all the details of the mods but I could load 3 down. Before the mods, when there were 2 left in the mag, the top round would sometimes just pop up and get crossed up when trying to close the bolt. For what it's worth, the original mag and follower in the 416 is the same one used in the 7 STW. I have both rifles and the part numbers are identical.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info, it looks like a lug is in order. David, I wonder if a 375 H&H follower and mag box would fix your problem

also, saw the post on barrel bands, heat them up and put them on hmmmmmmmm.....

thanks

Ken

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ken,

I have 3 of the current production M70 Classic Safari Express rifles. Two were purchased as 416 Rem Mags, the third is a 375H&H. One of the 416s was rebarreled by John Ricks to 470 Capstick. All three have exactly the same mag box and followers, right down to the part numbers and letter codes. Since my last post, I took a look at my 470 to see what was done to make it feed correctly. The problem is the wider cartidge case, both shoulder and neck. This caused the shells in the mag to set with not enough of the case under the feed rails in the shoulder/neck area and the last two shells would not reliable stay down when ejecting the chambered shell.

I bought another mag box and follower that was wider at the back, but it turned out to be narrower in the shoulder area and made the problem worse. I believe these were parts for a M70 in 300 WBY from an earlier year.

So I went back to my original parts and did some mods to them. First, I carefully ground about .050" off the inside of the mag box on both side. I tapered this from nothing removed near the belt to .050" near the shoulder/neck area. This helped. It fixed problem with the 2nd to last shell popping up unexpectedly, but the last shell in the mag didn't feed right. By widening the box, the follower didn't fit correcty at the top, and the ridge on the top of the follower was not holding the last shell under the rail. So I mixed up some devcon pastic steel putty and built up the ridge with about .050" or so until it held the last one in place. Now I can cycle the full mag as fast or as slow as I want and no more misfeeds. If you try this, make sure you thoroughly degrease and rough up the areas of the follower where you apply the devcon. After it cures in a couple of days, it's probably stronger than the original material.

If your 7 STW has the same mag box and follower as mine, then you already have the same parts as I did and you should be able to make it work.

BTW, I talked to the Winchester reps at the last Safari Club convention in Reno and they tried to be very helpful, but didn't have the hands on experience or knowledge to really help me out with suggested parts numbers. They gave me the number for the Winchester custom shop, so I could ask which parts they use on the custom M70 they chamber in 470, but the custom shop was less than helpful.

Posts: 142 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote