New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blackburn bottom metal for M70
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does th eBlackburn bottom metal for the pre-64 M70 have an integral mag box like his bottom metal for a Mauser?

I saw one for sale in the classifieds that uses the factory box.

Also, I had been told that Blackburn metal could hold 4 down in .300 Weatherby. Is htis correct.

I would love to hear it from the horse's mouth, but we all know how easy it is to get parts, or even reliable information, from Blackburn. Between them a PTG, I do not know which one is more aggrevating to deal with, and am just about fed up with both of them to the point that I will go elsewhere

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
The Blackburn M70 bottom metal uses the factory box. His website shows 4 down with standard bottom metal and 5 down with extra deep bottom metal. You'll need the 375 length for the 300 WBY.

http://www.blackburnmachine.com/254768.html

I think Blackburn's next production run is supposed to be Pre-64 M70 bottom metal.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mark
I talked to Ted about that a few years ago at the Guild show. He told me he used the factory magazined box because they could not get the model 70's to shoot with an integral box.

As for the aggravation, you are correct about Blackburn. However, I must defend Dave Kiff. I have called on a number of occasions and have asked to talk to him. It was only a matter of seconds and he was on the line and answered all of my questions. Just last week, I had a question about a headspace gauge he had made and emailed him about it. He called me that evening with the answer.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-War M70 300 Win Mag built with Sunny Hill integral box bottom metal and it shoots just great. I've never understood why a M70 needs a loose box while a M98 doesn't. I'd prefer to have an integral box every time.

Posts: 5052 | Location: Muletown | Registered: 07 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
thanks for the info. i will check out Sunny Hill

I talked to Dave Kiff yesterday. My order is still screwed up, they have no idea where the order, what exactly is on my order, and they sent me things I did not order and don't even know what they are (NOT the first time they have done this to me). Did not hear from them again and can only hope the next box from PTG will have my stuff in it. Who knows when or what the hell it will be. Can you tell I am getting a little pissed? This is their last shot to get it right.

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forrest-

Can yo please tell me about how you like th elooks and handling of the Sunny Hill? Does it have the same lines as th eBlackburn? I was thinking it was a little different. How many down will it hold?

thanks!

one of us
Picture of ForrestB
posted Hide Post
Here's the best photo I have hosted right now. All three rifles are M70s, two with Blackburn bottom metal and one with Sunny Hill. Can you tell which is which?

The middle rifle is the one with SH bottom metal. The trigger guard is a little larger and shaped more like the Oberndorf Mauser. Blackburn's trigger guard is more egg shaped. The floorplate on the SH is a little flatter than the Blackburn. This rifle (300 Win Mag) holds 5 down. Each of these rifles has drop belly bottom metal.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dose anyone have a link to the Sunny Hill site? I have not been able to find one.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
hook
Here's the Sunnyhill link

http://www.sunny-hill.com/

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much Forrest! I will go with the Sunny Hill, as I prefer inletting one piece units.

I am selling everything but the action on ebay right now, and then got in a mild little panic when I recently saw the Blackburn unit was made for the factory mag box.

I will look at the Sunny Hill product and see if I can make a new box and get 4 down without going with a dropped box

one of us
Picture of fla3006
posted Hide Post
This is a Sunny Hill for a magnum length cartridge (375) on a standard length Mauser:

NRA Life Member, Band of Bubbas Charter Member, PGCA, DRSS.
Shoot & hunt with vintage classics.

Posts: 9487 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 11 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by brassbender:
hook
Here's the Sunnyhill link

http://www.sunny-hill.com/

Thanks brasssbender. I was trying it without the hyphen and getting a golf resort.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3507 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote