Find
Notify
Tools

Mauser bolt 3/16" shorter than normal?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
I bought a commercial Mauser bolt assembly that I thought was a standard FN bolt, but it isn't. Side by side they look the same, but the one in question is about 3/16" shorter than a standard '98 bolt. The firing pin is a clone, except it's shorter too. The swept back, curved, flat bottomed & checkered bolt handle is the clone of the FN commercial as well. Also, the safety is the kind I've seen on FNs which is a two-position on the left side of the shroud. The extractor and collar, and the shroud, and cocking piece are all standard '98 Mauser

As far as I can tell this bolt has not been altered after it left the factory.

What do I have and what receiver will it fit?

Thanks

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
IIRC you probably have a bolt for a M98 small-ring thread-size Mauser variant. some of them chambered for intermediate length cartridges such as the 7x57 had a front receiver ring which was 3/16 of an inch longer than the standard M98k, and used a bolt 3/16" of an inch shorter.

I don't recall which ones. Had the info in my hands just ths last week, but don't want to have to read through 100+ old issues of Rifle to find it again today. I'm sure someone here will tell you which countries used that variation anyway.

Best wishes,

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Turk 1903 and brazilian 1922. It will also fit the yugo mausers if you eliminate the safety breech cut on the barrel. It should fit the mex's if you recess the barrel. I'm sure there are others. I believe Herter's used to sell those actions. Looking to sell it or buy a receiver?
-Don

Posts: 1085 | Location: Detroit MI | Registered: 28 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
I'm hoping it fits the yugo M48 or 24/47 intermediate receiver. But since I don't have one to try it in, I'm trying to figure it out in advance, then maybe I can find one to make a completed action.

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Don Markey:
Turk 1903 and brazilian 1922. It will also fit the yugo mausers if you eliminate the safety breech cut on the barrel. It should fit the mex's if you recess the barrel. I'm sure there are others. I believe Herter's used to sell those actions. Looking to sell it or buy a receiver?
-Don

Don, I just sent you an email through GB, since I figured you would most likely know about this.

Thanks for the help.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt may be from a Herters J9 action - they used 3 different actions and the one for 6MM Rem, 7x57 and 243(Model SSM1) were shorter by 3/16"(at least the one I have is). The one I have has the safetyless shroud, but the older ones may have used the old FN style safety.

The action is the same size as the Yugo 48's.

Posts: 156 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 24 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like it is from a Westernfield 720A or B. These were built around 1964 by Heym in Germany, using intermediate commercial 98 actions. The shrouds were identical to the 1950' FN style. Here is one on AA.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/displayitem.cfm?itemnum=8776953

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
The bolt looks like the one shown in this discussion. https://forums.accuratereloading.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/...=212101485#212101485

KurtC,
I'm confused a little. The link you gave shows a 30-06. I was thinking the intermediate was for the x57 or shorter cartridges. Or maybe I'm easily confused.

KB

one of us
posted Hide Post
It's the same action. On the .30-06 models, Heym opened up the front of the magazine box a bit. I've never fired a Herter's version, but the 2 Heym barreled ones I've had were tack drivers.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Late yesterday I called a friend/gunsmith and mentioned this topic to him as an afterthought. I'm glad I did since he had one of the Heym/Herters in 308. He had sold it previously, but the buyer traded it back because it wouldn't drop in a Hogue stock. It's got a few issues to deal with such as a muzzel brake, but the barrel is long enough to cut back. I always liked a 308 with a 20"-21" barrel anyway. I'm thinking about buying it. Smiler

Anyway, I'm still going to try to find a receiver that will work with this good looking bolt I have. Looks like I can get a Turk 1903 stripped receiver at a reasonable price. If the bolt doesn't fit, at least I won't be out of too much money, and perhaps I can resell it if need be.

As I understand it, the hole spacing for the Turk bottom metal is the same as the standard '98, and the Turk is a large ring with small ring barrel threads.

I'm just wondering if such an old receiver will be subject to set back if not re-heat treated? I hate to get into that, and if it comes down to that, I'll probably just not go there.

Over the years I remember seeing commercial intermediated bottom metal, and other parts, but just ignored them, since I mostly didn't know what I was looking at. I always stayed with some variant of the standard '98, so I wouldn't end up with odd parts. But now it seems that I've unintentionally stepped into a new adventure, and I'm wondering why it took so long. Smiler

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
OK, I finally see the difference on the bolt face compared to the standard '98 FN or Mark X. At first I didn't see the protrusions on both sides of the ejector cut, on the FN bolt. Now I see that the protrusions are not there on this shorter bolt. It looks like the 24/47 bolt face in that regard.

I'm hopeing that means the bolt will fit a 24/47 Yugo receiver. That would certainly simplify things. What are the odds?

KB

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
It's strange how things come in bunches, or not at all. The rifle my gunsmith has turned out to be the Herters XK3 Yugo intermediate commercial in 308. Also, I bought an action off GB that is a Yugo intermediate commercial. And now I have a Yugo 24/47 barreled action, which I think this intermediate FN clone bolt that I have will fit. Such a problem. Smiler

Looks like Boyds has quit making the RIA for the Yugo, but Richards MF offers the inletting. Wondering what other options I have for stocks? Boyds still offers the JRS for the Yugo, but I'm looking for other ideas.

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Roger Beisen has a nice pattern for them.
-Don

One of Us
Picture of 724wd
posted Hide Post
come to think of it, i'm not sure i asked for my pattern stock back when i picked up my roughed out stock from roger... does his pattern have a palm swell and somewhat oval/rectangled fore end? hmmm....

heath

NRA Life Member

Gun Control - A theory espoused by some monumentally stupid people; who claim to believe, against all logic and common sense, that a violent predator who ignores the laws prohibiting them from robbing, raping, kidnapping, torturing and killing their fellow human beings will obey a law telling them that they cannot own a gun.

Posts: 992 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: 19 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine came from the same batch so if he didn't keep it he might not still have one, I'd give him a call. Your talking about Tony's mesquite right?
-Don

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Don,
Thanks for the referral. I doubt that I can do better than that. I did call the shop, which is not the number shown on their web page, and talked to the elder gentleman. He couldn't hear me, so I called back today and spoke with his son, Roger, who is quite informative, and talkative.

Anyway, he is not familiar with the yugo intermediate or the Herters xk3, but suggested that I send my action to him and he will figure out a way to inlet his classic stock to it.

That works for me. We talked prices a little, and it seems that we can find something in a simifinished stock that will suit me, within an acceptable price range. It's interesting that the price of good walnut can be whatever you want to pay. As for me, I'm opposed to two things - spending lots of money on a safe queen, or likewise on a stock that I'm always worrying about protecting in the field.

It's interesting that he has only one pattern, which is a classic. Judging from the pictures - it's perfect. Here's a picture sample: http://www.biesen.com/Sale3_1.htm

I have written before about the differences in the so-called classic stocks. Take the Boyds JRS for a prime example. Straight comb, no drop at the heel. It's a very irritating stock. Now look at the Biesen classic again. It has some drop at the heel, which is probably perfect. Boyds missed the boat in my opinion. They make a moderately priced stock, readily available, but worthless to me.

OK, now you have suffered through my rant and opine about classic stocks. Now look at this beauty: http://www.auctionarms.com/closed/printitem.cfm?itemnum=8235417

I have one that fits the standard FN commercial Mauser, but mine has ebony tips without the white line. It's very slender, and fits well. IMO, this is perhaps the best example I have found of an excellent monte carlo style.

So, now through this research on the XK3, and with your help, I have found the best examples (to me) of the classic and the monte carlo style. Now, if all my stocks looked like those -- humm. So much walnut - so little time. Wink

KB

One of Us
posted Hide Post
When you call back ask Roger if he remembers a group of mesquite stocks he turned. Tell him the blank looked like they were cut with a chainsaw (because they were). Tell him that's the inletting you need. He should remember the chainsaw comment. It was 724wd pattern and he thinks he left it with him.
-Don