Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 798 stock
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi,

I did a search on this forum and found some not-too-positive comments with regards to the Remington 798 and the wood-to-metal finish on this rifle. These comments were made a few years back when the rifle was new on the market.

Has the quality and finish improved recently?

The reason that I ask is because I am toying with the idea of buying a stock from Stocky Stocks as they have these on sale for $99 for my .270 Zastava.

It is going to be a bit of a hassle to get this into South Africa so I only want to try and go ahead with it if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My Zastava has a Butler Creek synthetic stock which is really not a bad deal but an additional wood stock at this price would be welcome.

However. if the quality is no good then I would rather not waste my time doing this.

Thanks!

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They should fit your rifle fine as long as it is the recent style of Zastava Mauser with the side button floorplate release.

The stocks are made from Rutland Brand birch laminate. It is a natural ,undyed birch lam with BLACK dyed glue lines.. The wood is stained in finishing process and it gives the walnut tone allowing the dark glue lines to show through. It is pretty unique look amoung laminate stocks. Only Remington used the process on factory stocks..

If you like the stock style and the price is right by the time it crosses the ocean, it should make a very good working stock..

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:
Hi,

I did a search on this forum and found some not-too-positive comments with regards to the Remington 798 and the wood-to-metal finish on this rifle. These comments were made a few years back when the rifle was new on the market.

The reason that I ask is because I am toying with the idea of buying a stock from Stocky Stocks as they have these on sale for $99 for my .270 Zastava.

It is going to be a bit of a hassle to get this into South Africa so I only want to try and go ahead with it if the juice is worth the squeeze.

My Zastava has a Butler Creek synthetic stock which is really not a bad deal but an additional wood stock at this price would be welcome.

However. if the quality is no good then I would rather not waste my time doing this.

Thanks!

Give Camdix in Krugersdorp a call use to be 800rand from them.

Cheers

Posts: 395 | Location: Mozambique | Registered: 08 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by freischuetz:
quote:
Originally posted by umshiniwam:
Hi,

Thanks!

Give Camdix in Krugersdorp a call use to be 800rand from them.

Cheers

Gave the ma call...no such luck I am afraid!

Does anyone import ex-factory stocks for various rifles into SA?

Cheers

Posts: 392 | Location: Pretoria, South Africa | Registered: 30 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jim62:
They should fit your rifle fine as long as it is the recent style of Zastava Mauser with the side button floorplate release.

The stocks are made from Rutland Brand birch laminate. It is a natural ,undyed birch lam with BLACK dyed glue lines.. The wood is stained in finishing process and it gives the walnut tone allowing the dark glue lines to show through. It is pretty unique look amoung laminate stocks. Only Remington used the process on factory stocks..

If you like the stock style and the price is right by the time it crosses the ocean, it should make a very good working stock..

Thanks for the info. Sounds like a good working stock.

The scheme is to try and get one and either put it on my .270 and put the synthetic onto another barrelled action or just use the laminate stock for a new rifle.

I am still waiting for my license so this can wait but the yare only selling fro that price until the end of the month.

A laminate stock blank costs about R3,000 (US $394) here in SA.