New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington 40X Trigger Help
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Recently acquired a Remington Police with the 40X trigger. Of course it's too heavy (3+ lbs at lightest setting) so I ordered a lighter trigger spring. Removed the trigger adjusting screw and the ball is supposed to fall out with the spring, but of course it does not. Looked and probed around and I cannot see any staking. Drove the non-cutting end of a drill the same size as the outside of the hole and it goes right into the ball. The ball compresses the spring as it should, but will just not fall out.

Any ideas on how to get it out or do I have to start saving for a Timney?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Magnetize a small drill .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjmci:
Recently acquired a Remington Police with the 40X trigger. Of course it's too heavy (3+ lbs at lightest setting) so I ordered a lighter trigger spring. Removed the trigger adjusting screw and the ball is supposed to fall out with the spring, but of course it does not. Looked and probed around and I cannot see any staking. Drove the non-cutting end of a drill the same size as the outside of the hole and it goes right into the ball. The ball compresses the spring as it should, but will just not fall out.

Any ideas on how to get it out or do I have to start saving for a Timney?

I would be much more interested in saving for a Shilen Trigger.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It has to come out the other way, from inside. You need to take the trigger lever out first.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Duh ! I just had one apart too . It sucks being dumb , but with such a bad memory I don't realize it often .

Posts: 227 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: 03 February 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
It has to come out the other way, from inside. You need to take the trigger lever out first.

So it's OK to punch out the pin that holds the trigger? Just checking - thanks!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, no big deal, just be sure you watch out for the ball and spring.

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Cusom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5506 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
OP,
IF,a spring a ball & an adjustment screw have you confused-
Seek a professional

Keep'em in the X ring,
DAN

www.accu-tig.com

Posts: 426 | Location: Fairbanks,AK. | Registered: 30 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Listen to Jim Kobe and Dan. They have been down the street.

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kobe:
Yes, no big deal, just be sure you watch out for the ball and spring.

Where spring loaded parts, small screws and balls and springs are involved always dismantle things and punch out pins inside a suitably sized plastic bag, that way you don't lose bits. You'll thank me for this advice one day when things go ping.

Posts: 3880 | Location: Nelson, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Jim, tx, got it out. Did have to pound on the trigger pin harder than I wanted to but it came out & went back. Unfortunately after replacing the spring with a lighter one the trigger pull was still a little over 3#, so I really didn't get anywhere. I have no idea why.

Back to saving for a Timney. Tx to all who responded.