Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith Lathe
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted
I know this has been beat to death but again from all of the pages I've read here on the subject no conclusive winner has shown in my mind.

I'm getting ready to open my shop, I need machinery. Right now I've got a line on a bridgeport mill, surface grinder, and other tooling, my real question is the lathe. I'm looking for American made, so South bend, clausing, monarch.....
I've been looking at the Heavy 10 from South Bend, the 5900 series from Clausing, and the 12ck from monarch.

The monarch is almost off the list as the gear head is to big. So the clausing and south bend are up. Are there any other ones out there ,American lathes, that are worth a look at a reasonable price, say $5000 give or take.

Adam

Ammo, you always need more.

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam

Like you said Monarck's are a great machine but the headstock length makes them less than ideal for gunsmithing.

The Southbend Heavy Ten long bed is a good machine IF it's not worn out.

Something that cuts a metric thread is a plus in this day and age.

Hal

Posts: 164 | Location: Montana | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you can find a Rockwell 11" or 14" machine in good shape, they are very capable machines. Don't have the spare parts availability of a South Bend though. Contact Joe at Plaza Machinery. He always seems to have a good assortment of these types of machines on hand. He currently has four Heavy ten's on his list. http://plazamachinery.com/

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
Cadillac is a good machine too. and so are the old Mori Seki's, Leblond and lagun too.

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Adam, I have been using 2 Clausing 5900 series lathes for nearly 20 years. Despite all the warnings that I have read, on this and other forums, concerning variable speed problems, I have always had great service out of these fine little machines. If you get a machine of this size I have a wedge tool post and a slew of tool holders for sale. Eddie.

NRA Patron Life Member Benefactor Level

Posts: 1283 | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sheldon is good to if you can find one

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
Ed, thanks for the heads up.

on the le blonnde, is their dual drive lathe an option, I have for sale right down the road from me.

Adam

Posts: 463 | Location: Dresden, Ohio | Registered: 09 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of kcstott
posted Hide Post
The leblonde dual drive has a long headstock but other then that it's a good choice. It's not however as long as a monarch

www.KLStottlemyer.com

Deport the Homeless and Give the Illegals citizenship. AT LEAST THE ILLEGALS WILL WORK

Posts: 2534 | Location: National City CA | Registered: 15 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The good thing about LeBlond is that
they have most parts in stock.
A friend of mine has a 40" machine
that he needed a part for, it was in stock,
the machine was built in 1925.
Check eBay, prices have come way down. A LeBlond
36" I bought a few years ago for around 35 can be had for
around 15 now.

Posts: 408 | Location: morgan city, LA | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ab_bentley:
I've been looking at the Heavy 10 from South Bend, the 5900 series from Clausing, and the 12ck from monarch.

I got my Heavy 10 at an estate auction at the end of the evening when people had already spent their money on knick-knacks, but I think they go for a lot less than $5000.

TomP

Our country, right or wrong. When right, to be kept right, when wrong to be put right.

Carl Schurz (1829 - 1906)

Posts: 14595 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I found a local machine shop that is into refurbishing and reselling. He has a NASATURN 12x36" and all of the other equipment at really decent prices. I haven't heard of NASATURN but from the intell on the net it looks like it'll do well. A 3hp 220V single phase motor 1.30(??) spindle bore and tooling (strady rest and follower) to go with it. Also a surface grinder and Bridgeport mill (belt drive Frowner)So I am going to look into this guy.

Has anyone here worked on NASATURN?

one of us
posted Hide Post
If you can locate A Sheldon it is a great lathe. I have two [13X40] and they both run like old clocks.
Aloha, Mark

When the fear of death is no longer a concern----the Rules of War change!!

Posts: 978 | Location: S Oregon | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ab_bentley
posted Hide Post
I was turned onto a South bend heavy 10 in my area. It comes with tooling and and steady / follow rest. $2800 out the door.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a winner. Hard to beat a Hvy 10 for gunsmith work. I at times wish I still had mine, but I hated watching it rust in my damp un-heated garage in the winter from lack of use.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1618 | Location: Potter County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might look at American Turnmaster, 13 X 40.

Posts: 1743 | Registered: 25 February 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I know a friend selling out his gunsmithing shop as a whole package, two lathes, mill, blast cab, reamers, engraver, the works if you're looking for it all. He's trying to sell the business as a whole w/building and all but you may want to call him about it anyway. PM me if you'd like his info.

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1182 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
If you still need one I have a few that fit the bill. An American 14x40, a 12 or 13" South Bend & a 16" South Bend. I'm near Kalamzaoo. PM if interested. Thanks!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of flylo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flylo:
If you still need one I have a few that fit the bill. An American 14x40, a 12 or 13" South Bend & a 16" South Bend. I'm near Kalamzaoo. PM if interested. Thanks!

Several mills also.

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 707 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: 20 October 2002Reply With Quote