New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wide chamber in my 8x68S Sauer
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I�m an owner of a Sauer 80 in 8x68S. The chamber is so wide that fired brasses wont get into the sizerdie. You can feel the pressure ring with your own fingers � with your eyes blindfolded. The loadings are either factory loads or far from max home loads. The rifle is some 20 years old, but I bought it a couple of years ago. Is it possible to widen the chamber using a load far beyond maximum � without damaging other gun parts? Or is it most likely to think of a production failure? Comments are highly appreciated!

Cheers

[ 02-19-2003, 00:15: Message edited by: .358PCAK ]

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
358PCAK--

If the chamber is oversize it's because it was reamed that way. Chambers don't expand with hot loads unless there is a failure of the barrel....that expands it so far you can see in it from the outside......burst.

Have you got access to a micrometer? It would be nice to know the actual dimension.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for responding!

I have a micrometer myself. How do I measure? Fired brass?

Posts: 106 | Location: Telemark, Norway | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello .358PCAK

While you are are busy with that micrometer take the same measurements on a new factory round and a case that has been resized.

Exactly where is that pressure ring?

Bought my Sauer 80 in 8x68 just over 26 years ago and have been reloading for it just as long. The cases need annealing after about three reloads - you can definitely feel that the brass has work hardened by that time.

I fully agree that the factory loads are pretty energetic. The first few shots had all the guys ay the range looking at the absolutely dead flattened primers and shaking their heads - definitely too high a pressure! Recently I've bought a chronograph and am looking forward to measuring exactly how fast the rifle is recoiling!

Measure and post - I'll match you :-)

cheers edi

Posts: 222 | Location: Cape Town South Africa | Registered: 02 June 2002Reply With Quote