New
Find
Notify
Tools

MPI stocks of Portland?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone here experienced these stocks? I need to stock an L461 with a 22" #3 contour in 17MachIV. I'd like to stay away from wood if I can but don't want to put too much money into a synthetic. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
I've been through their plant, I've studied their product, and my advice is to look elsewhere.

When it comes to shooting hardware, you get what you pay for.........

AD

<Celt>
posted
I used to use MPI stocks...years ago, when they where decent.
They have really gone down hill.
Now they are actually nasty.
There is 10 times the work needed to get your rifle in one than other un finished stocks, the "inletting" is terrible and they will take much sanding and bondo to fill in all the rough spots and imperfections on the extertior shell.
They flex alot too.
When you inlett for your action and bottom metal, you will have to remove so much material, that you will be into the foam fill. This seriously affects the structural strength.
The last one I used was over 3 years ago and I swore at it and also swore I would never use one again.
If you want a quality, ultra light weight stock, try a High Tech Speciaties made by Bazner. The workmanship is MUCH better than an MPI.

Celt

one of us
posted Hide Post
True, but who else makes synthetic stocks for Enfield 14/17's in their various guises? - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is there anyway I could use a stock for my L461 that is inletted for Remington, Winchester, etc.?

Posts: 200 | Location: Belle Plaine, IA USA | Registered: 09 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As posted on another forum, Don and Norma Allen use MPI stocks on their Dakota 76s when someone is looking for a synthetic as opposed to Don's superlative wood.

The one on my 330 is not flimsy, the one on my 300, likewise�neither are "overworked" to fit the action, and as noted, where else to get one that fits a rifle nobody else makes stocks for ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You can do a search on these hunting chat rooms for topics involvin MPI and find more horror stories involving people buying from them and the poor treatment they get. It is not pretty.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Cobalt>
posted
I sent MPI my BRNO bbl action in .460WM in 1989 to be stocked. 13 years and many rounds later I have nothing but praise for the company. Cobalt

one of us
posted Hide Post
McMillan..RimRock..Bansner...Brown

But unless you do the bedding yourself I don't see how you will get away with much less than $450 to $500.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Celt>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt:
I sent MPI my BRNO bbl action in .460WM in 1989 to be stocked. 13 years and many rounds later I have nothing but praise for the company. Cobalt

Yes. 1989. That is the key.

<Jordan>
posted
Cisco:

Brown Precision makes a synthetic drop in that will fit that barrel contour and action perfectly.
It is a nicely styled sporter stock.

Sincerely,

Jordan

<Jordan>
posted
Cisco:

A Brown blank runs about $230.00 retail. You can install a pad and pillar bed it yourself if you are at all handy. I paint them with Zolatone. You can buy a quart of Zolatone and their disposable spray cartridge gun for about $60-65.00 [$45.00 for a quart of Zolatone and $15.00 for the spray gun].

Rough the stock with 60 grit paper, fill all voids with bondo. Mask and shoot and when it is all said and done,your paint job will look like it was done by Brown Precision themselves. In other words, for $300.00 you will have a stock that Brown [and others] would charge you $400-500 for.

Regards,

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen anyone make a finer boat paddle, although they are a bit expensive.

Posts: 2036 | Location: Roebling, NJ 08554 | Registered: 20 January 2002Reply With Quote
Administrator
posted Hide Post
CISCO,

I have a bunch of useless MPI stocks here I got for our Dakota actions.

If you are lucky to get a good one, they are fine, trouble is, there is some idiot in that factory who lets rejects out, and I got some of them.

I would not touch them if you pay me to use them!

Posts: 68737 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a Sako L46 single shot at a gun show in Spokane a couple of years ago. With it came an MPI glass stock. At home I found I had a real project on my hands. The inletting was about 3/4 to depth, the forend had a bow in it and the comb to low for a scoped rifle.
First, I ground off the glass shell around the forarm and got that straightened out and recovered with coth and glass. Next I put the stock on my mill and cut the inletting deeper. Then I found out the stock was too shallow for the trigger to fit into the triggerbow properly, soooo I had to build up the under side of the of the action area. With that done I cut off the top part of the comb, shaped a foam block, glued it in place and covered it with cloth and glass. After all of this the stock has good classic lines and seems to be quite sound-no thanks to MPI. Pete

Posts: 382 | Location: Lewiston, Idaho--USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jordan,
Where can I find the Brown Precision blanks? Brownell's only stocks them for Remington 700 long actions. Is there a certain model number I need to look for?

Chris

<Celt>
posted
Pete,
I have had the same problems with MPI stocks for Remmies and Winchesters too.
At a shop I worked for, the owner thought they where great stocks, even after both smiths there ( myself and another) told him they where junk.
I finally had to tell him that I simply would not put another MPI stock on a rifle. I told him that if he wanted to use them, he could put them on himself, and if he didnt like it, I would walk. See..He was not a gunsmith, just an insurance salesman that owned the shop.

That is how nasty they are.

Here is a link to some great ultra light stocks. These are real nice to work with and tough.
http://www.bansnersrifle.com/hightech/prices.htm

Celt

[ 08-08-2002, 19:39: Message edited by: Celt ]

<Jordan>
posted
Cisco:

Brown now has a web site ['bout time]. [www.brownprecision.com---I think!]. Their phone is [530] 384-2506.

Jordan

<Big Stick>
posted
My MPI experience,mirrors the negative feedback of others. They are worse,than bad,in my experience.................

<JOHAN>
posted
CISCO

I have to Echo Saeed about MPI stocks, nothing that I will use ever, never. McMillan, Bansner, Rimrock or Brown, are the ones I would buy they are worth their money. I have owned two MPI stocks and they caused nothing but trouble, one of then cracked mid action and was nothin but a fibre glass tray filled with expoy and micro ballons.
Save the money and get one of the best, cheap crap only makes you even more mad and frustrated.

<DuaneinND>
posted
More Problems Inletting- they are the poorest stock I have EVER worked with, finished product is okay, but take 2to3 times the time/work to get to the finished stock. I only use one if I cannot remodel someone elses stock to fit the rifle.

www.duanesguns.com

[ 08-10-2002, 05:40: Message edited by: DuaneinND ]