New
Find
Notify
Tools

Source of Savage replacement stocks
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am rather confused on the available selection of savage replacement stocks. I have a Savage .243 model 110FXP3 package gun (plastic stock)that I had purchased from Wally World a few years ago. I have dremmeled out the forearm
and added a piece of steel for reinforcement but Im have never been quite satisfied with it.

When I look through the catalogs I cant seem to find a stock for this particular model number. This model would be considered the short action correct? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Posts: 74 | Location: Mid Michigan | Registered: 19 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I thought the 110's were Long actions??? However Bell & Carlson makes replacement plastic (carbelite and DuraMaxx) stocks for both models. I have one on my Model 10 Tactical and really like it.

If a day goes by when you don't learn something - it was a Total Loss!

Posts: 324 | Location: SE Wyoming | Registered: 27 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oldguy I had also thought that the 110s were long actions but it may be that the model 110 in .243 was not. Attached is what I had found on the Bell & Carlson website. Mike

#5071-__ Savage, Long Action, Blind Magazine

Fits all long action cal. "three digit models" (such as Model 110, 111, etc.)

with standard contour barrel and top loading internal magazine.

(does not fit short action cal."three digit models" such as .243 cal 110e)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Measure the center to center of the action screws, long actions are 5.062". All the newer three digit guns are long actions. You might want to look at Sharp Shooter Supply, Stockade, or talk to Joel Russo about a stock depending on what style and material you are looking for.

If somehow your gun ends up not being a long action, keep in mind that Savage built three different short actions with different spacing for the action screws.

Posts: 40 | Location: Kuna, ID | Registered: 22 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
With my digital caliper I measured 5.064 so I will assume it is a long action. Thanks for your help. Mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike:

The model 10, 12, 14, 16 are short actions.

The model 110, 112, 114, 116 are long actions.

Normally the .243 is done on a short action.

Be advised there are at least three different screw hole lengths with the short actions Savages. You will need to look at the letter prefix and serial numbers.

I believe Sharp Shooters Supply Fred Moreo's web site list the prefix and serial numbers with the different lengths.

If you are looking for a nice aftermareket stock you might check with Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Stocks. He makes several different stock configurations for a fair price.

Good luck
Longshot

Posts: 322 | Location: Youngsville, NC | Registered: 23 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sneak on over to the Savageshooters.com forums and you'll find all the info you want or need about Savage rifles.

I think it costs $5 a year to be a member and be able to access all of the site, but if you are a Savage shooter it is money well spent.

Some of the older .243s were built on long actions (M110) and I used to have a .223 that was built on the long action. Had a block in the mag box that made the cartridges sit in the front portion of the magazine box.

An old pilot, not a bold pilot, aka "the pig murdering fool"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The information below is what I found on the Sharp Shooter Supply website. Thanks. Mike

Savage Centerfire Action Lengths

Savage Centerfire Action Length Identification. To help determine what action you have, here are the action screw center-to-center measurements.

Long Action: 5.062" (all years)
3rd Gen Short: 4.400" (2006 - present)
2nd Gen. Short: 4.275" (1998 - 2005)
1st Gen. Short: 4.522" (1959 - 1988)

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
A lot of the packages were made with long actions and blocked magazines. I have a 223 like that. The Stockade stocks are good. If you call Kevin Rayhill directly, you can order custom lengths and finishes, too. HTH, Dutch.

Life's too short to hunt with an ugly dog.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote