THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM GUNSMITHING FORUM

Moderators: jeffeosso
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Savage Condition. What do you think?
 Login/Join

posted
I put a used Savage in layaway today. it is in the 7mm-08 cal. I like this caliber and the price is good also. One thing I need to ask you all about and that is condition it is in. OK. It looks like it was taken care of reasonably well by previous owner except for the muzzle end of the barrel. It is wore to wear it looks like all the bueing is off of it. The crown looks good, just no blueing. This got me to thinking would it be possible for this gun to be shot out? Has it been shot so much that the blueing being wore is just a sign that this gun is over the hill as far as shooting goes??? The rest of the gun looks good as I looked at it yesterday and thought is was new. I looked closer today before layaway and saw the blueing wear on the end. What do you guys think???
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
Brian You can usually see marks on the crown after firing a number of rounds. These marks are left by gases being deflected by the rifling as the bullet leaves the barrel.They usually appear to be greyish. If all the blueing is worn off the end of the barrel I would suggest the previous owner drove around lots with the muzzle end of the rifle on the floor of the vehicle. A combination of moisture,dirt, carpet on the floor and vibration has worn off the blueing.

Posts: 2437 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Normally it takes very few shots to take the blue off the crown. I wouldn't be concerned if the bore is bright and shiny with sharp rifling.

Posts: 41980 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
also think about the cases that hold guns in a downward angle on 4 wheelers, or like some have suggested the muzzle on the floor. Has the trigger or anything else on the gun been messed with?? I bet prolly not, I would also bet the gun hasn't been shot a whole lot, besides throwing a new barrel on that thing is no biggie either

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are talking about the inside of the bore on the muzzle end do not fret, that is a natural accurance in these rifles. If the bore is shiny and the lands look sharp I wouldn't worry about it. Mine is the same way and I take very good care of it. It will shoot sub-MOA as long as I do my part.

Posts: 48 | Location: Mo. | Registered: 12 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Guys,
again the day before I thought it was a new one, it wasn't until I went to get it and looked closer that I noticed the blueing wear. In my estimate I would say the gun is 10 years or less old. Hope this helps. Thanks
Brian

one of us
posted Hide Post
if the crown is buggered up a bit, re-crowning is no biggie. i'd say it is just wear from injecting the rifle in and out of an atv boot or a regular soft gun case. bed the thing, mount a scope straightly and go shooting.

Posts: 298 | Location: birmingham, alabama | Registered: 28 January 2003Reply With Quote