Find
Notify
Tools

Foaming Bore Cleaners
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Friends-

Some months ago, there were some discussions on this forum regarding a foaming bore cleaner.

There now seems to be several of these on the market now. Would it be possible for readers to list these foaming bore cleaners, their respective contact information as well as the readers' experience with these cleaners.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 1323 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: 04 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wipe-Out foam is the best barrel cleaning product that I've ever used. The other foams aren't quite as good........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I`ve seen the ads for Outers and Forests(sp?)foaming cleaners but never tried them. I do use, and am very pleased with Wipeout. I doubt I`ll experiment with the others anytime soon, if at all.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gunslick has jumped on this "foaming" bandwagon as well. Most are also ran's, wipeout is the first and IMHO the best. The wipe out is just plain amazing, it's so easy I don't dread claeaning anymore. You can get it at Midway,(if they're not out of stock)!

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Of late I have been able to obtain some Wipe Out and I'm currently trying it out. I primarily use it for barrels that I can remove from the stock, that way I don't need to worry about the "overflow" getting onto parts where the chemicals will cause damage (wood, wood finish). It is a bit of a mess to use, IMHO.

I tried it a couple of times, and did a test with Sweets after having cleaned the barrel with Wipe Out. No sign of copper. However, when I looked with a borescope a couple of days later, there was clearly still copper in the barrel. Now Sweets did not indicate copper either, so maybe I'm being too "anal" about this. However, it did look as if what the chemicals "told" me was clean was actually not. The jury is still out on this one...

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've not tried any of them but the Wipe-Out, as I still have several cans left from a purchase directly from the maker ( before he had any distribution set up ).

If I only have one or two firearms to clean after a range trip I still use the more traditional cleaning methods. A couple of times a year, however, I come home with a bunch of dirty rifles and handguns....the foam really is an advantage in those situations.

Posts: 733 | Location: N. Illinois | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love it because you can just squirt it in and go do something else while the stuff does it's job. I use a tight fitting bore guide and squirt it in from the rear. I wait 15 minutes and then run 4-6 dry patches through. Squirt it in again and go do something else for 2hrs. When I get back I run 4-6 dry patches and see how clean. If it doesn't look perfect I wrap a patch with JB's bore brite around a brush and give it a few strokes. Usually after this the bore is a mirror, with a total time spent actually cleaning less than 10 minutes per rifle.
The biggest tricks are to use a properly fitted bore guide that won't let the stuff run down into the action, or attach a hose to the nozzle and stick it up into the barrel from the breech. I have a Splatter box on the front of the barrel http://www.sinclairintl.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=CPMI&item=03-6000&type=store, to keep from making a mess spraying the stuff from behind. The Sinclair fitted bore guides also work well, the ones with a solvent port don't.......DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote