New
Find
Notify
Tools

supressed shotgun
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Involved in light hearted discuusion regarding whether it is possible to add a suppressor to a 12 ga. slug gun. Does anyone here have any thoughts?

Thanks

Posts: 3110 | Location: NJ, MN, MT | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Navy SEALs have tried this with no success. They eventually developed a completely-contained shotshell that was quiet...when it worked properly. The shell had an expandable alloy powder chamber that, theoretically, would expand under the pressure of the powder gases but not rupture to allow gas escape. The thrust of the rapidly-expanding powder chamber would, again theoretically, provide enough velocity for the shot charge to be effective without causing any more noise than the cycling of the action and the strike of the payload.

Sometimes it worked and other times it didn't work so well. Last time I heard anything about it (long time ago now) this expandable-chamber idea had been largely abandoned.
Regards, Joe

Posts: 2756 | Location: deep South | Registered: 09 December 2008Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
JD I remember reading about those, probably back in the 70's in a Guns and Ammo magazine.

IIRC, the ones I remeber looked like a brass shotgun shell and as you say there was a metal wad that went forward and was retained by the crimp. I think it may have shot flechettes but don't remember. I do remember at the time finding the velocity was so slow, 500 fps or something similar I recall.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
OH, getting back to suppressed shotguns the first thing to do is figure out if suppressed guns are allowable for hunting, as they are not in most states.

I do think there should be a massive public education campaign about suppressors, since most laws are based on fear and ignorance about them.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of muzza
posted Hide Post
I beleive shotguns are fitted with suppressors commercially in Britain , and they have been done here in New Zealand too , although not seen often.

Old enough to know better

Posts: 4471 | Location: Eltham , New Zealand | Registered: 13 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Follwing up the post above from "MUZZA" if you check out www.guntrader.co.uk you will find some of these. Search under SHOTGUN and SINGLE BARREL.

They may be there in 410 size if not in 12 and 20.

Here they are used with or without subsonic shot gun cartrides. The British company Hull Cartridge Company lists them.

Some people use them for decoying pigeons near to built up areas and others for shooting squirrels. Others for clay pigeon shooting near built up areas.

I do not know of any British use with slug but would imagine a subsonic slug would be needed?

Here in Britain of course we had the wartime Delisle Carbine a silenced 45 ACP converted SMLE which starting with a cartridge that was subsonic to begin with was probably easier! And of course the smaller Welrod Pistol.

Posts: 6821 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This Swedish company sells new ones!

http://www.poff-tech.se/

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I don't read Swedish, could you tell me if there is a 12 ga. one listed?

Thanks...JAck

Posts: 3110 | Location: NJ, MN, MT | Registered: 30 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He dont show the cal. but 12 is the most common shotgun cal. in Sweden. Its listed as a stock item. 320*50mm

Posts: 3611 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 02 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sam308
posted Hide Post
Do you guys mean that the shotgun in "No Country For Old Men" wasn't real?

Posts: 344 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 27 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TC1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sam626:
Do you guys mean that the shotgun in "No Country For Old Men" wasn't real?

Another balloon busted Frowner

HA! animal

BTW, funny avitar!
Terry

--------------------------------------------

Well, other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Posts: 6315 | Location: Mississippi | Registered: 18 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My thoughts? I think I will make one next year on an ATF form 1. It might look something like this.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote