Find
Notify
Tools

Stainless Bottom Metal-Win M70?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted
Is anyone currently making 1-pc stainless steel bottom metal for stainless steel M-70 classics? I know Williams did at one time. Should have bought some then! I need a unit to replace the junky factory bottom metal on mine.

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for one (or 2) myself. Any info would be helpful.

Posts: 1135 | Location: corpus, TX | Registered: 02 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 22WRF:
Depends on what size you are looking for.

I currently have a Blackburn Model 70 # 3 that is made from 303 Stainless steel. I don't know if Ted is going to make anymore or not. You could call them and ask. Otherwise, I would sell mine for $400.

Integral box or no?

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
Mine is a 30-06. Would that fit????

Posts: 813 | Location: Wexford PA, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Iron Buck
posted Hide Post
PM sent

one of us
posted Hide Post
Also be aware that the trigger would likely need to be modified as well.

Posts: 2659 | Location: Southwestern Alberta | Registered: 08 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Blackburn is sold out of the Stainless guards, at least I hope. Maggie said that they were sending me their last one.

Duane (Sound Metal Products) is running Model 70 bottom metal right now, I imagine now is a good a time as any to approach him about producing stainless units.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
303 is an "easier to machine" stainless..not as "stainless" as 304...which is a bitch to machine. The possible drawback is that 303 will not take a hi polish...don't know how imnportant that is???

I never ask for firm commitments, but I'd like to know the level of serious interest. I'll have to shop for the bar stock and then can give a ballpak price.

I truly suspect not much more thn 1018..but the world is full of surprises!

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
curious: whaat kind of ss does winchester use in their model 70s?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
Can you get 416 SS in the right size for triggerguard?

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Scrollcutter...I don't know...tell me more about 416

Posts: 2221 | Location: Tacoma, WA | Registered: 31 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The 400 grade stainless is easier to work with. The 300 grade is soft and has a lot of stress in it. 300 grade has alot of nickel in it and will not rust as easy as 400 grade in my experience.

Posts: 172 | Location: Lockport Illinois | Registered: 16 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scrollcutter
posted Hide Post
What he said...

Aren't most of the actions and barrels made from heat treated 400 grade stainless. I know that 416 engraves very well, so I assumed the machining would be the same.

Roger Kehr
Kehr Engraving Company
(360)456-0831

Posts: 1632 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A lot of the Remington clones are made from 416R stainless. It machines like butter.
Duane,
I can send you some to play with. I go to my friendly barrel maker and get drops and mess ups.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Drops and mess ups I know all about...yes..I'd appreciate it. Tried to get some prices today..unable to do so...can you believe that ? Will try again tomorrow

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'll mail some out in a flat rate box tomorrow.
Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
the 410,416 SS get 'more stainless" when heat treated.

Posts: 6443 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote