New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who makes this rifle action?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This rifle was purchased at an estate sale by a scavenger friend of mine. It is a custom action--does anyone know who the maker is/was?

The action is cylindrical in form, and appears to use a remington style trigger/safety. The recoil lug is also similar to those used on a Rem. Some pictures are attached to provide more clues. No name is stamped or engraved anywhere that I could see.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Steve

Posts: 267 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 01 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bluetick
posted Hide Post
Steve

My guess is that it is a Sportco M44 or a variation there of. This Rifle is described in detail in Frank deHaas� book �Bolt Action Rifles�. I have the 3rd edition. I have never seen one in person but your pictures resemble the ones in the book. There are differences though. Overall it looks the same. The bolt head is definitely the same. If it is removable similar to a Savage then it is most assuredly a Sportco.
The tang being squared off is also like the pictures in the deHaas book.
Tell your friend that I�ll swap him a Remington M700 or M Seven for it. Maybe throw in a little boot too.

Shawn

Posts: 773 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The bolt and bolt release are very similar to my Alpha Arms. It was made by Homer Koon in the early 80's on a semi-custom basis. The bolt shroud is not the same, but the round tube action and remington washer is the same style. He also designed the Texas Magnum and the Omega. The Texas Magnum has a similar bolt head.

Posts: 109 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 20 July 2004Reply With Quote