New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gunsmith for feeding issues?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I got my 25-284 back, loaded up some rounds to take to the range and start load work-up (another story), and immediately found I have some feeding issues with this cartridge in my long action SUCKS rifle.

Do you guys have a particular 'smith you use for feeding issues? This is a problem I wouldn't trust to just any smith and I want it done right the first time. Any recommendations?

The rounds are jumping out of the magazine about half way through the stroke, causing them to jam half in the chamber, half out of the ejector port. - TIA- Bob

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
ANY < !--color--> gunsmith can fix this problem.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sheister,
Jim Dubell in Colville, WA.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

ANY < !--color--> gunsmith can fix this problem.

What a twat! I can name at least half a dozen "GUNSMITHS" that could not sort this out. Just cuz someone hangs out a shingle does not mean they know what they are doing.

Take customstox's advice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zach,
It is the rare gunsmith who understands and can adjust feeding in a rifle. Jim Wisner is another one that is very capable and close by to Sheister, but he is so busy with his other work.

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
<allen day>
posted
Sheister, fundamentally, the magazine geometry is wrong for the .284 Win. case, amoung other issues. This is an old and familiar problem, and I'm sure that Jim Dubell or Mark Penrod or another riflesmith of that caliber can find a solid solution.

I'm continually amazed at how many guys think that all you have to do is screw in a new barrel chambered for a cartridges based on a completely different case, leave the magazine as-is, and (viola!) everything's going to feed and function just peachy-fine. This is seldom the case, and many (I think MOST) psuedo-riflesmiths are absolutely clueless on this stuff. That's my experience at least!

"Any gunsmith" can fix this problem? Nothing could be further from the truth.............

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Zach,
It is the rare gunsmith who understands and can adjust feeding in a rifle. Jim Wisner is another one that is very capable and close by to Sheister, but he is so busy with his other work.

Agreed. It is a shame how many so called smiths will do conversions that in the end will not feed. Equally distressing is the numebr of customers who believe their new toys feed flawlessly.

I think I have a fairly good understanding of most of the issues especially when it comes to magazine geometry but I'll be honest, when converting my own Mausers. I tend to stick with Xx57 bases cases or -06 based. Since I have no intentions of doing work for other people this suits me just fine as I generally have no need for other exotic cartridges. That and I'd rather spend more time shooting than working out feeding issues for little or no gain.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks a bunch guys. I have a few suggestions to work over before I need to send it out.
I agree that a cartridge change of this nature might require some work, but was waiting to get it back and check it out before going to any expense. At the moment I'll try to change the follower to a magnum follower, then widen the magazine a bit, followed by taking a bit of tension out of the spring. If this doesn't take care of it, off it goes to one of the 'smiths suggested by Chic.

Thanks, Bob

Posts: 385 | Location: Hillsboro, Oregon | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Who ever chambered your rifle should have explained that there may be additional work required to get the feeding correct. They should have also told you (before they cut the chamber) it would cost more money to have this feeding work done.
gunmaker

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sheister, isn't Darrell Holland in your neck of the woods?

one of us
posted Hide Post
test

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote