Find
Notify
Tools

rem 700 classic in 8mm mag, how much $
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
not sure where to post this.
went to the gunshop today. found a near perfect 8 mag classic. less than 20 rounds fired. very pretty gun. was wondering what it might be worth. i have found no 8 mags for sale to compare. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
woofer,
unless you are "ate up" with an 8 mag, you might pass on it.

the 416 rem would be a better choice, and you can get it in a crf winchester for $850,all day long, new.

jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i can buy the gun and have it rebored to 416 for a grand total of $500. already spoke to cliff labounty. the 416 rebore was my intention for buying it. i just didn't want to take something apart that i would kick myself for later.
also, how would you compare the 416 recoil to with 350 or 400 bullets? the hardest kicking gun i have shot is 6.5# 7stw. i know it is the same case but was wonder if the gun weighed 8.5 would that offset the bullet difference?
what now?
woofer

Posts: 741 | Location: vermont. thanks for coming, now go home! | Registered: 05 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 416 will kick much more than the 7mmstw.Two lbs in not nearly enough to offset the increased recoil.You are after all launching double the weight of bullet.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
sounds like it will be a learning experience. thanks for the insight. will keep you posted.
adios
woofer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Woofer,
hell's bells, for $500 for a 416, you better JUMP on it.

i'll assume your STW wasn't "braked"... The '16 will kick more, but not as fast/savagely as the STW. I like merc tubes, so mine has one... big ole shove, but watch out for the scope.

I'll share my loads with ya, if you like.. .pretty durn simple... 400gr hornady, 87 gr win 760, win mag primers, . this is the hornady BOTTOM load (86.9 i think) and gives me 2385, 12" away.

jump all over it, man

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
At that kind of price, I would've already bought it. If you can buy it AND have it rebored and stay under $500, the rifle must be priced right. If you decide to pass on it, tell me where it is, I'll take it. (And, I'll keep it as an 8mm Mag [Smile] )

one of us
posted Hide Post
i went back to the shop today and put some cash down on it. i couldn't pass it up. the gun is perfect. he wanted me to take it with the synthetic stock he had put on it. i laughed and said i have 3 on the shelf, i dont need that one. he grumbled and brought out the wood. very nice.
$375 out the door.he-he-he. i was giggling all the way home.
i am trading my smith some junk i have laying around to pull and re-install the barrel and bed it to the mountain rifle stock i have. gorgeous piece o' walnut. cliff said around $100 to rebore. no need to set the headspace or anything so i am stoked.
i know it is going to pound me. it's a 416. i dont care. it will be a very sharp looking piece when i am done.
thanks guys
woofer

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Woofer,
congrats.. and welcome to the second most practicle 416... best of luck, let's hear how it goes.

jeffe

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your .416 is going to be pretty light for such a heavy caliber.

In my opinion, your 8mm Classic is much more valuable left as is. You could easily make a few bucks by offering it on the classified section of this forum.

Alternatively, you could take any magnum Remington 700 and rebarrel it with a heavier barrel appropriate to a .416 and would have a more pleasant rifle to shoot.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Untouched that 8mm Classic will just appreciate in value. Rebored to .416? I don't know. Seems like a waste of a good 8mm mag to me. Guy

Posts: 327 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
that's what i was wondering when i first saw it. if i dont want the 8mm mag should i sell and look for a donor action? i have a standard face long action sitting here without a home. $100 will get me the bolt face opened and extractor installed. then i need a barrel. then i need it chambered. it was just adding up. with the 8 mag i dont need headspacing or chambering at all. i dont need another barrel. it was all adding up fast. if someone wanted this 8 mag for what it is i would sell it $450. i would ship in a hard case for $35 to an ffl. let me know if any of you guys are interested and i will go get it.
woofer

posted Hide Post
Since I have all three (stw, 8mm and 416), I'll throw my 3cents in.

The .416 with 400 grain bullets is waaay more felt recoil than the stw. With 300gr bullets its about 25% more felt recoil than the 8mm with 220gr. And my 416 rem is a safari grade M700 (read: heavy). The 8mm is a TRG that weighs 9.25 and the stw about 7.5.

What will help is the Classic stock on the 8mm you're looking at. The safari grade is just awful in design. That rifle comes up hard now matter how much I brace up. The 1.5-6x Burris (with 5in of eye relief) always contacts my glasses. And this after I've put an 11oz mercury suppressor in the buttstock.

In my opinion, the Rem700 is not enough magazine for the .416 Rem. The case is smallish for the bore and the bullet is shoved way back into the powder room. One of my previous rifles was a singleshot TCR (7.5lb with scope - and muzzle brake). I could seat the bullets out, lower the pressures, and get some serious performance improvement. Try 94gr of RL15 behind a 300gr X bullet and see 3000+ velocities. COAL of 3.9in. Compressed load and a little edgy. The *&#% brake would disincorporate anything within 24in of the muzzle, and one did not forget hearing protection more than once.

Let's face it. If you shoot 416 Rem, you're going to reload. If a .416 push-feed action is your game, go for something with a longer magazine (TRG-S?). Or do CRF in a CZ550. Save the M700 in 8mm Rem for trading value.

[ 01-02-2003, 05:50: Message edited by: Rod@Mountain_of_Dreams ]

Posts: 24 | Location: Star Meadow, Montana | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well. that's a mouthfull. i dont have to this tomorrow so i guess i can wait and see what comes my way. thanks for all the help. if i had gotten knee deep in this and then started second guessing i would not have been happy. 8 mag it is.
adios
woofer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head over to the classifieds, Ima going there to post the 8mm Mag I have for sale. I believe it to be unfired and has a gorgeous piece of wood.

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote