New
Find
Notify
Tools

L C Smith double barrel 12 ga
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A friend recently asked me to sell an old shotgun that had originally been her fathers. It is an LC Smith double in a factory leather case. Gun is in pretty good condition. Action is tight. The forearm does not snap on as tight as it should and there is a small crack in the tang area (no wood missing). Would appreciate comments from anyone who knows about these old guns and what would this be worth?

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
really not enough info to give you a valid estimate. they came in various grades, fluid steel or Damascus barrels, trigger configurations, ejectors or extractors, etc.. you get the idea- when you figure out what it really is then you can determine value.

Posts: 981 | Location: Shenandoah Valley VA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I found a bunch of info on the LC Smith website, including year it was made, what grade it was, etc.

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan to the L.C. The best source, by far, is the book "L.C. Smith, The Legend Lives" by John Houchins.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A little more info on this shotgun. It is a 10 ga. It has L C Smith stamped on both side locks. It has Hunter Arms Co Fulton N Y on the top of the reised rib. It has Pat July 13,88 and Pat Oct 5,86 and serial # 320715.Single brass bead. Barrels appear to be a nickel alloy as they are almost a silver colour. The barrels are covered with a spiral type design. (Damascus barrels??) Barrels are 30 in long. It comes in a breakdown leather case. Again a small crack in the tang area of the stock but no wood missing. No marking of chamber length but a fired 10 ga 2 7/8 empty case chambers easily.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Photo please ?

one of us
Picture of Toomany Tools
posted Hide Post
If it's a hammerless extractor gun my reference says your shotgun was made in 1908.

John Farner

If you haven't, please join the NRA!

Posts: 2946 | Location: Corrales, NM, USA | Registered: 07 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it is a hammerless gun with extractors.