New
Find
Notify
Tools

stock options on MRC short mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Jut getting a couple barrels installed on two short mag actions (stainless barrel and action) and was wondering what options there are that people have used for the stock.

Both rifles are in 300 WSM with 24-25" (haven't decided yet) stailess #3 barrels. Looking for a laminate or a synthetic option. I really like the factory laminate sporter stock that is offered on Winchester's sporter rifles. They seem to fit very well and I like the looks.

Let's hear all the reasonable ideas.

Thanks,

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The folks at MRC say the short action M1999 will fit with very little altertions into any stock meant for a short action Winchester M70. I don't know how much "very little" is, but if true, that should give a lot of options.

I have a friend who is putting his short M1999 into a Hogue "overmolded" stock for the short Winchester M70. I think I may try a Winchester factory "varmint"-style short action stock on one of mine....I am going with a 9.3 caliber barrel on that one so want to have a little larger barrel channel than standard.

Hope we get some folks to pipe in here if they have tried using a Winchester stock and have had any problems with it....

AC

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on, let's hear what you used on your MRC short action for a stock... Must be someone out there that has stocked a few for themselves or others. Any experience/insights welcome.

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt,
Accrabond makes laminated stocks for the MRC actions & they look like a very nice product. Their laminating process makes the finished product look like a regular wood stock without all the funky lines found on most laminates. here's a link to their site....

http://www.acrabondlaminates.com/

I've also got 2 SS, SA's on order, one a barreled action in 25-284. I think I'll try to find a take off Win. S/A wood stock to start with & eventually get an Accrabond or McMillan. I think most of the major stockmakers will be making fully inletted & drop in for the MRC's soon so that's why I'm waiting to commit for a while. Good luck on your custom projects, Bruce

Posts: 45 | Location: DFDubya Texas | Registered: 27 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Matt, McMillan has developed an inletting program for MRC�s SAs. I received my featherweight stock for my .350 Rem. mag. project from them two weeks ago. CP.

Posts: 153 | Location: Wapiti Way, MT | Registered: 29 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I ordered a HS Precision pillar bedded stock, and it required more altertion than I cared to do with my drill and dremal. After a quick trip to the gunsmith, I loved how it turned out, but it required more than a little work to get it there.