New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Mark II auto pistol question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
There is a small part underneath the firing pin on a Ruger 22 auto called a Rebound Spring Support. This part has a small hook on the end of it. In my owner's manual from 1984, it shows the hook facing down.
I went to order a firing pin today. I was looking at an exploded view of the gun, in order to find the firing pin info and I noticed the hook on the Rebound Spring Support is facing UP!
Which drawing is correct? I am ordering a new firing pin because I've been getting about 1 misfire per 20 shots and the indent on the case looks shallow. That's the only reason I've caught this discrepancy. I have had the hook facing down in my pistol. If that's wrong, maybe its the reason I've been having misfires.
Thanks in advance.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
There is a small part underneath the firing pin on a Ruger 22 auto called a Rebound Spring Support. This part has a small hook on the end of it. In my owner's manual from 1984, it shows the hook facing down.
I went to order a firing pin today. I was looking at an exploded view of the gun, in order to find the firing pin info and I noticed the hook on the Rebound Spring Support is facing UP!
Which drawing is correct? I am ordering a new firing pin because I've been getting about 1 misfire per 20 shots and the indent on the case looks shallow. That's the only reason I've caught this discrepancy. I have had the hook facing down in my pistol. If that's wrong, maybe its the reason I've been having misfires.
Thanks in advance.

Hook down. I've never seen a Ruger 22 Pistol firing pin go bad. Are you shooting CCI ammo by chance?

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not a gunsmith but have shot a Ruger MkII in competition since the first year of manufacture (1982?). A few years back I felt that the cycling was becoming a bit sluggish and bought a new spring kit to put in the gun. I asked a gunsmith frien to put the springs in the gun as a matter of expediency. When done he asked how long the firing pin spring had been missing? Both the spring and the part you refer to had been gone for an indeterminable lenght of time and the gun had not missed a beat. Any misfires had been so infrequent as to have had to be due only to faulty ammunition.
I have used mostly CCI std velocity ammo.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using WW ammo in the silver box. If it's not the firing pin, what could cause misfires? Right now it is apart. Its been scrubbed with eds red. Ruger is sending me a firing pin. When it gets here I'll reassemble it and see what happens.

One of Us
Picture of Westpac
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Max503:
I am using WW ammo in the silver box. If it's not the firing pin, what could cause misfires? Right now it is apart. Its been scrubbed with eds red. Ruger is sending me a firing pin. When it gets here I'll reassemble it and see what happens.

Misfiring in a rimfire can be traced to the shape of the nose of the pin, weak recoil spring (failing to hold the bolt against the force of the hammer strike), weak hammer spring, or, uneven rim thickness and priming compound, which in the past was heavily associated with CCI ammo. FWIW, I use Winchester Super X when diagnosing and testing function.

Posts: 3171 | Location: SLC, Utah | Registered: 23 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The nose of the firing pin does look beat up, worn, and uneven. Anyway, I'll have a new one soon.