New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Lyman 1886 #2 Tang Sight
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a current production USRAC 1886 with the tang safety. I want to have a tang sight installed on it for long range shooting. Will the Lyman sight work? According to their website, it works on the originals and the Browning repro's, but didn't mention the new Winchester. I am 100% OK with completely removing the tang safety in order to get the sight on the rifle, as I never use it, and it isn't "period."

If the Lyman will or won't work, are there other sights that I should look at?

Thanks for your help!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Skip the Lyman and go to the Marble's in the Brownells'catalog it list one that fits the newer 86's with the tang saftey,plus you get windage adjustment to boot

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor
I have one of the Winchester 1886 tale downs with the Marples tang site installed. It's accurate, easy to use, well made.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, will look into it!

Edited:
Just looked at the sight in Brownells. $125...is that the one you guys are talking about?

Will I need a 'smith to install it, or is it a simple do-it-yourself installation? Any ideas on how much elevation I can get..say, can I shoot up to 1000 yds with the 45-70, or will I be limited to only a couple hundred?

Thanks a lot fellas!

[ 03-13-2003, 21:08: Message edited by: Trapdoor ]

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Trapdoor thats the one,it should work fine for you
if for some reason it is short on elevation Buffole Arms Company sells repalce sight arms for it.No offense meant but a 86 is not a 1000 yard rifle even a new one,at best its a 200 yard number with the hotter ammo.

Posts: 1529 | Location: Tidewater,Virginia | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes it can be a 1000 yard rifle. Just aim at the moon and eventually it will reach a 1000.
Being silly. No it really is a woods rifle that will knock the stuffing out of Elk and Deer and Bear or most any other thing you want to hit out to about 200 yds.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Those of you who don't think that a 45/70 can't be a 1000 yard cartridge should check out a BPCR shoot sometime. No, the bullets don't go very fast, but 500 grain bullets don't slow down very much either. An arcing trajectory, and shouldn't be used for hunting past 200 yards; but it makes a great long-range target rifle.

Posts: 421 | Location: Broomfield, CO, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Cm,I know what your talking about,but he is using a 86 light weight, now if it was my roller in 120
I would agree.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help guys!

I realize that the 45-70 isn't best suited to 1000 yards for hunting. I can hit a 12" square steel plate at 200 yards consistantly from a sitting position resting over knees, so for elk, I am confident to 200 yards with the factory iron sights. Put it on a bench and I start shooting at Coke cans. Granted, I don't hit them every time, but get close enough to call it a hit!

However, I am talking about long range "plinking" out to and exceeding 1000 yards for pure fun. There are a lot of rocks out here that need killin' and even though that rock at 1000 yards is really a boulder, I still want to shoot at it! I have shot at them, too, but Kentucky windage is too inconsitant to reliably walk 'em in.

And by the way, I'm shooting the 26" full octagon barrel, which is a tad bit heavier than the lightweight. I have held the leightweight, and boy, are they light!

[ 03-17-2003, 19:14: Message edited by: Trapdoor ]