Find
Notify
Tools

? on Timney trigger adjustment.
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted
I just bought a Timney trigger for my Ruger M77mkII. Don't these triggers just drop in with no smithing, honing, polishing? And isn't trigger weight simply adjusted with a screw? THANK YOU

one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
Dogcatcher223,
I have one of these triggers in my gun and it does take a bit of gunsmithing. There is a boss on the side of the trigger that the safety bears on. This has to be filed or ground down till the safety just slides across the top of this boss. Be careful you have to sneek up on this. If you file just a few thousandths to much, you will no longer have a safety. There should be directions in the kit.

There are adjustments for take up, pull weight, and over travel. As I remember they all adjust with an allen wrench provided with the kit.

Chuck Graber

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of dogcatcher223
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chuck. I am taking my gun to the smith for some other stuff, so maybe i will just have him do it.

<Cobalt>
posted
I installed a Timney in my 77MkII in 6mm PPC last night. Takes about 2 seconds to push the two pins out holding the old trigger and sear and about that long to install the new sear, spring and trigger. Spent the next hour watching Biography, Tom Selleck, and filing down the safety. The majority of the fitting goes pretty quick but the last little bit you need to take your time. I am thinking Selleck might be a excellent replacement for Mr. Heston when he retires as spokesman for the NRA. Bob