New
Find
Notify
Tools

Painting Stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I want to start painting my stocks (fiberglass) and I do NOT want to use spray cans. Can someone tell me what equipment I would need (spray gun, nozzles etc) I'm looking for good quality equipment so money should not be a consideration.
Howard

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Most all of my stocks are painted including the Tupper Ware stocks. My wife, the artist, uses acrylic paint with Poly eurathane finish. Just make sure the surfaces are grease and oil free before you start. popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Painting is not unlike other hobbies . First determine what you wish to do ?. Slick pretty multi color or single durable color or Camo ?.

Or perhaps a full grip ( textured surface ) suits your needs .

Either way DURABLE is the key no matter what the finished project looks like .

A small " Quality " detail gun works well for most finishes , Camo an Air Brush is a nice tool to own also .
I prefer Binks & Badger brands , how ever there are others which work as well .

Gloves I use Nitrile latex also work . A GOOD mask half or full face with appropriate filter cartridges . An area that's well ventilated but free of direct air draft and dust dirt or other contaminates . A source of Compressed Air
CLEAN DRY AIR or NITROGEN . An Air pressure regulator , Flexible hose and fittings ( for Compressor and Spray guns ).

Now the actual Material to spray ?. Durable # 1 Epoxy # 2 Urethane which may or may not contain acrylic additives ( Plural component ) Modified Enamels , water borne urethane , latex water based .

Texture can be accomplished in several different ways . Bedliner urethanes are single and plural component colors available .

Textured additives are also available to ADD to what ever finishes chosen .

Aircraft , Automotive , Marine coating suppliers are ones best sources for getting EXACTLY the proper finish you desire .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote