Find
Notify
Tools

Loctite removal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted
I am changing scope bases on a rifle. The old bases had Blue Loctite placed between them and the receiver. The new bases, don't cover as large of an area. You can see some white smudges of old Locktite around them.

My question is: What, if any, kind of solvent will take it off? I have tried Flush-Out, Kano Kroil, Hoppes #9, and Ed's Red.

Any body got a suggestion?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 37873 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ledvm:
I am changing scope bases on a rifle. The old bases had Blue Loctite placed between them and the receiver. The new bases, don't cover as large of an area. You can see some white smudges of old Locktite around them.

My question is: What, if any, kind of solvent will take it off? I have tried Flush-Out, Kano Kroil, Hoppes #9, and Ed's Red.

Any body got a suggestion?

Make a scraper out of a plastic knife or other stout plastic, warm the area up with a heat gun or momas hair dryer and it will comw rite off dancing

Posts: 2359 | Location: KENAI, ALASKA | Registered: 10 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The tip of a hot soldering iron to the screw head works very well.

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IIRC acetone softens and dissolves it. If you don't have acetone steal your wife's fingernail polish remover and try it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
If the acetone does not work MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) will probably get it. Methylene chloride is another but I doubt that you can buy it now. Methylene chloride is a carcinogen so do not use it unless as a last resort. Then read and heed all safety precautions.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of triggerguard1
posted Hide Post
Acetone works like a charm.......

You can even use it to thin out loctite for reducing its viscosity, allowing it to penetrate assembled parts.

Williams Machine Works

Posts: 1021 | Location: Prineville, OR 97754 | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote