Find
Notify
Tools

miss fire on BLR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bc300winguy
posted
I have a BLR in a 300 win mag. The rifle is new. It has a push forward safety on the hammer. It has miss fired several times on me. Has anyone had this problem what do I do about it? My gunsmit says it's fine but I'm not impressed

one of us
posted Hide Post
I would say put in a call to Browning customer service and see what they tell you.

Posts: 9207 | Registered: 22 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can narrow it down to "something" wrong with the Bolt/Firing Pin mechanism, or ammo. If you are Reloading, try a box of Factory ammo. If you already use Factory Ammo, try a different brand.

If the Factory Ammo fires, then it has something to do with your Reloads. Over Sizing which "might" allow the case to set just a bit too far forward(even though it has a Belt), Undersizing which won't let the Bolt close properly, bad Primers, cracked Primer Pellet when Seating, Primers not Seated against the Base, Pockets Reamed too deep, etc., something is wrong in the Reloading Technique or Bad Primers.

If the Factory Ammo has mis-fires(and you tried more than one brand), then the problem is in the Bolt/Firing Pin. Crud build up inside the Bolt, Spring binding, Firing Pin Tip broken, etc., but it can often be cured by tearing down the Bolt and giving it a good cleaning. If you have had the rifle in the Southeastern USA(no indication of where you are), then it can be as simple as Minute Sand Particles clogging up the Firing Pin travel inside the Bolt.

You need to make sure you have the Bolt completely closed when getting ready to shoot.
-----

However, on the Positive side, when it does mis-fire, it should let you know if you have a "Flinch"! Wink

Whatever it is can be fixed.

Well, maybe not the FLINCH!!! clap

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine a BLR 270 also had this problem - also from new. 2 possible causes, the hammer gets caught into half safe position and the momentum causes the hammer to fall over into the safe position. You think it fired but it did not acually going into the safe position.

If that is not the causee then it is the 2 piece firing pin. The firing pin is in 2 pieces and unless sufficient force is applied it will not fire.

I am assuming that when it misfires there is not even a firing pin dent on your primer. That is what happened to me & the frustrating thing is that it is only intermittent. Mine was only used with factory ammo BTW.

Send it back if you can, not that easy to fix (well it can be but would void the warranty).

Regards
John

Posts: 370 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
Look for oil/dirt buildup in the firing pin hole, if you are getting dents on the primers, but no bang, this would be the likely cause.

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote