New
Find
Notify
Tools

Exotic wood stocks
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a lot of exotic lumber that was given to me by a neighbor. I have large pieces of puple heart, ebony, blood wood and some others that are heavy and dense. I am thinking of having a custom stock made out of one these blanks. My question is should any of these woods be used to make a stock? I think that ebony would make a fine looking stock.
Thanks,
Ryan

Posts: 96 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ryan, it is very heavy and almost impossible to apply a finish to it. Those types of wood are not practical for a stock. I saw an old flintlock in Bill Harrah's gun Museum in Reno some years ago but ebony is not practical for a stock. Does make good forend tips. I am always in the market for it if you want to sell it. Might even find something I could trade depending on the size and quality of the wood.

[ 03-26-2003, 09:50: Message edited by: Customstox ]

Posts: 4917 | Location: Wenatchee, WA, USA | Registered: 17 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used to have a .577 Jeffery with a Rosewood stock. It was a beauty but heavy, even for a double, hammer gun.

[ 03-26-2003, 10:27: Message edited by: Mickey1 ]

Posts: 6277 | Location: Not Likely, but close. | Registered: 12 August 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
Texican---

Save the exotics for salad bowls and forend tips........or trade it to me for stock blanks. [Smile]

I had several students that bought Indian Rosewood blanks from Herters........they made into guns with the svelt balance of a concrete flower pot.

[ 03-26-2003, 10:44: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies. I would trade but already promised the wife I would make something for her if I didn't have a use for it.

Posts: 96 | Location: Texas | Registered: 23 January 2003Reply With Quote