New
Find
Notify
Tools

How to clean but keep patina.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I know this is more in the vain of restoration. I have an old pump .22 that I inherited. It is time to put it back into shape. It has a brown patina (read rust) and I have given it a first pass at cleaning with a copper chore boy and gun oil. Much of the rust came away and left a nice dark (still rusty) finish. I used a bit of Flitz on a hidden side and I think it the flitz wants to shine the metal much to clean (great stuff-$$). any ideas? I could stop here and coat it with breakfree with teflon, Thanks in advance. JB

Posts: 104 | Location: Roanoke, VA , USA | Registered: 20 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steel wool and oil. Turn it often, the loosened rust will remove finish and patina. The clean stel wool will not. You might also try heating it a bit. Also soak it in penetrating oil. Hose it down and wrap it in aluminum foil. Let it rest for a week or so. Then try the steel will again.

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Harry>
posted
Anytime you are going to use "wool" on metal I do not understand why you do not use Bronze wool instead of Steel wool. You get great results but it may take a big more elbow grease however you do not mess up the firearm you are trying to fix/ restore / clean etc. Any good hardware store should have BRONZE wool.

one of us
posted Hide Post
if I can jump in here...I agree with all posts so far but there is one detail missing;

Use 0000 steel wool. You can clean an old stock with a little lemon oil mixed with mineralm spirits. It will do an excellent job on an old rusted metal without looking like a half-assed restoration attempt. 0000 is so mild you can clean glass with it.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote