Notify
Tools

Need to shim rear sight
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted
Hello folks:

I have recently installed a Williams "peep" sight on my Omega muzzleloader. I am very please with the accuracy improvement that the sight gave me. However, I have encountered a problem. The gun shoots good groups but even with the sight at the highest setting possible it shoots about a foot low at 100 yards with the load that I am shooting. I would like to have it "zeroed" at 100 yards if possible.

The way that I figure it, I need to either shim the rear sight or lower the front sight. Is it easy to shim a rear sight with materials readily available?

Have any of you guys solved a similar problem in the past?

Thanks...8point

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote
<JBelk>
posted
8Point--

Here's how to figure how much you have to change the sights.

If you're shooting at 100 yds and want to move the group 12 inches, Measure the distance from the peep sight to the front sight. That's the "sight radius".

Multiply that sight radius by the twelve inches you want the group to move and divide that number by 3600 (inches in a 100 yds). That's how thick the shim has to be OR how much shorter the front sight has to be...OR a combination of the two.

Using 26 inches as the sight radius of your rifle, it would take a .086 change in the sights. That's a LOT!!

So you might want to lower the front by sixteenth inch, .062, and put .020 shim under the back sight. It does the same thing.

Shim stock should be non-compressable and rust resistant. Auto parts stores carries a wide variety. I use feeler guage stock when I have to shim an action in setup. It's stainless, accurate, spring temper and comes in strips 12 inches long.

For really tall shims like you may be faced with, I'd superglue four #8 birdshots on the barrel under the sight and then mix epoxy putty with dry carbon black (art store) and cinch the sight down with the screws until it hits the birdshot then you can adjust final height and level by tapping on the sight to squash down a shot if needed.

Carve off the excess epoxy and polish the joint with a finger (no lint) wet with acetone.

With a black anodized sight you have to look really close to see the shim.

[ 03-18-2003, 06:40: Message edited by: JBelk ]

one of us
Picture of x-caliber
posted Hide Post
JBelk:

Thanks for the expert advice. Unfortunately I am too stupid and clumsy to perform such a task. [Big Grin]

I guess that I will have to learn to shoot better with the standard "factory" sights.

Thanks again JBelk....8point

Posts: 867 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 10 October 2002Reply With Quote