New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for plating services
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a high-end Italian SxS (Bertuzzi) with a coined finished receiver. Unfortunately the customer stored it in its case with moisture present and it needs to be refinished. Speaking with Turnbulls they're convinced it's plated, not French grayed. They don't provide plating services and couldn't give a recommendation for a reputable company.

Has anyone used someone they can recommend? I'm aware that I can google firearms plating and get a number of companies, but I'm looking for someone that can work on a $20k shotgun with fine English scroll work.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A so called coin finish, as seen on many high grade Italian guns, is essentially no finish other than a clear lacquer applied to a highly polished action.

Posts: 766 | Location: Corrales, New Mexico | Registered: 03 February 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If any damage to the engraving, you might be best to turn it over to a recognized talent so he or she can touch up and do the coin finish.

Of course if it is plated, you probably have an extra issue.

Posts: 3627 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Duane. I'm working with an engraver for that aspect of the project. It's the plating that I'm unsure of who to work with.

Squeezenhope: That's certainly possible. I'll get some photos posted here to see what people think. Turnbulls believes it's plated but they're working off photos I've sent them as well. The fact that it rusted so easily may be explained by the fact it's merely laquered over a high polish. I would think plating would hold up better?

Posts: 593 | Location: Weathersfield, VT | Registered: 22 January 2017Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Craftguard, satin Nickel.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Oh my...what a bummer....I'd "sneak up"
with a lower pressure very fine glass bead,,,just to get past the rust and crap to see what you're really up against

Posts: 3627 | Location: Phone: (253) 535-0066 / (253) 230-5599, Address: PO Box 822 Spanaway WA 98387 | www.customgunandrifle.com | Registered: 16 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of eagle27
posted Hide Post
Try some fine steel wool and WD40 first, you might be surprised how much of that surface rust is removed and the finish still acceptable especially considering the customer can't follow basic firearm protocols in terms of cleaning and storage. He deserves what he got but it may be retrievable. I've used steel wool and WD40 on blued surfaces and surface rust has been removed without affecting the bluing.

Posts: 3912 | Location: Rolleston, Christchurch, New Zealand | Registered: 03 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Speaking of nickel plating...anyone using the electroless nickel plating that Brownell's offered?

Successful?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used Electroplate Rite in Dublin, VA for two rifles, Remington 700s, about 25 years ago. They did a good job for me. No other experience.

Posts: 1332 | Location: Western NC | Registered: 08 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all for the comments. I got a quite a few PMs and a phone call with helpful suggestions as well. I'm amazed by the knowledge and people's willingness to help on this site.

Turns out it is not plated after all. This project will still take some work but at least I don't need to worry about finding a plating source.

Again, thank you for your help.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
MNR Might consider Loctite Naval Jelly first which contains phosphoric acid. Might come off in one app. and it rinses with water.
A follow up is appreciated.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I do electroless nickel plating for some of my small internal parts but I don’t use Brownells products. I use Caswell plating products. They have a website and give a good instruction book. They offer supplies for all kinds of plating

Posts: 1253 | Location: Montana | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lightly case hardened and the colors polished off to give it the plated look?
Looks like it rusted through that in spots.
Sometimes they don't have much of a case depth to speak of and you can cut right through it.

One of Us
Picture of custombolt
posted Hide Post
Well Mr. MNR. If you're still tuned in.....this would look like a million bucks color case hardened with a fine bone process.
Please keep us posted on your choices going forward.
CB

Life itself is a gift. Live it up if you can.

Posts: 5239 | Location: Near Hershey PA | Registered: 12 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCR Refinishing in Greeneville, TN does Electroless nickel plating. I've had revolvers done. About $250.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duane Wiebe (CG&R):
Speaking of nickel plating...anyone using the electroless nickel plating that Brownell's offered?

Successful?

Duane
I have a 1911 series 70 that was electroless nickel plated over 40 years ago carried every day and it still shows no wear no rust just a high polish in the slide rails.
Very successful

Never rode a bull, but have shot some.

NRA life member
NRA LEO firearms instructor (retired)
NRA Golden Eagles member

Posts: 1510 | Location: Camp Verde, AZ | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote