New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage bolt locked up
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A buddy has a Savage bolt action rifle with the accutrigger. The problem is that the bolt is locked up. The rifle has not been fired and he never used the safety lock mechanism.

After taking the action out of the stock, it appears that it was dry fired (the sear is in the position it would be in if had been fired), the safety is off, and the bolt cannot be opened. Since the bolt can't be opened, the sear cannot be reset.

Anybody seen this before? Any thoughts?

Thanks in adavance.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
one other question: could it be one of the screws used to secure the front (the one closest to the end of the barrel) scope mount. he tried to mount the scope bases and ended up breaking off a screw in the hole. I don't kow how long the screw is, or if the hole goes all the way through on a Savage.

Thanks again.

Posts: 93 | Location: san antonio, texas | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Savage uses a bolt head that is a seperate part and pinned to the bolt body. I would bet that the bolt head pin is backed out part way and is locking the action.

Ask over at www.savageshooters.net and they'll know how to troubleshoot it and fix it. I'm betting that you'll have to pull the barrel off and do a little fishing around.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12700 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
scope base screws are to long.

Posts: 90 | Location: Okemos Mi. | Registered: 24 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Savage uses a bolt head that is a seperate part and pinned to the bolt body. I would bet that the bolt head pin is backed out part way and is locking the action.

The firing pin passes through this pin as a close running fit, if the bolt pin has moved it means the firing pin is sheared off. I tried to do this on purpose to see if it was a weak point in the design, there is nothing weak about it.

My guess is the same as mike61's.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
<xs headspace>
posted
If you're lucky, you can get the screw out by drilling into the middle of it with a #40 drill, and using the smallest size Ezy-out in the hole to back it out. If you unscrew the end cap on the bolt, you have access to the striker and you can thread in a 1/4-28 bolt, and use that to pull back the striker to the cocked position. But I don't think the striker is involved in this. Most likely the second screw on the front scope block. The front screw hits the barrel threads, I think.