Find
Notify
Tools

Cleaning flux?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted
Hi all, what do I use to clean off brazeing flux? It's really hard and can be chipped off but I'd like to use some solvent and scrub it off. I've tried some elec parts cleaner but it didn't touch it.

Also, My silver solder isn't sticking too well. I'm useing plumbers flux, could I try the brazeing flux?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Plumbers flux will not do the job.Its good for the 50/50 type solders that run at 360 degrees, silver runs at over 400. Try a flux called Tec-Flux. Its made just for silver soldering. With Tec-Flux, there should be no residue to chip off when you are done. If you are unable to find any near you, drop me a line and I'll send you a bottle of it.

Joe

Posts: 263 | Location: Where ever Bush sends me | Registered: 13 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I found some Sil-Clean at a welding house that says it's active between 800-1600 deg F. I'll have to check the temp range of solder I got from Brownells. I was talking with a jewler the other day and she said that she could get Sterling silver in different diameter wire that looks much cheaper than silver solder. Would there be any problem with useing sterling silver? Or is the melt temp too high?

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote