New
Find
Notify
Tools

Slugging a bore
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is the simplest method for doing the above?

Posts: 128 | Location: western PA | Registered: 02 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For my benchrest barrels, I have lead bullet cores that I swedge through a die that I have run a .244 reamer through. I am shooting 6PPC. I am looking for tight spots and to see if it has a little choke at the muzzle. To get a feel of the bore you need to push through with one continous motion or all is lost. I use a cleaning rod without the jag. Your slug needs to be slightly larger than groove diameter. Butch

Posts: 8964 | Location: Poetry, Texas | Registered: 28 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your input.....

The rifle I wish to slug is a 1903 M/S that I suspect has an oversize bore....I was hoping for a source for lead slugs....checked Brownell's which did not list such a thing...

one of us
posted Hide Post
Fishing sinkers, esp the teardrop or egg shaped ones. You want to find one that is just slightly larger than the groove diameter.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used lead BP balls, just "manipulated" them enough to get them conical on one end to facilitate starting and then upset them for the push through.

I'll grant you this was to see if a Mauser was .318 or.323, not for benchrest comp. so it was the low tech approach/

Rob

Posts: 1688 | Location: East Coast | Registered: 06 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by woodhick:
Thanks for your input.....

The rifle I wish to slug is a 1903 M/S that I suspect has an oversize bore....I was hoping for a source for lead slugs....checked Brownell's which did not list such a thing...

If you still need to slug this barrel, I'd suggest visiting shootersforum.com. Mr. Stanton has excellent information and kits to just this. Greg

Posts: 115 | Location: Woodlawn Tennessee | Registered: 30 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, everyone, for all the helpful advice.....Much appreciated......