New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinishing a Pre-64 Model 70 stock
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a late production (1963) pre-64 model 70 in 30-06 whose stock has seen better days. I'm interested in getting the stock done back to original. Can Anyopne suggest someone who specializes in refinishing model 70 wood back to original? Thanks.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If its refinished it wont be oriiginal. bewildered bewildered beer

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are right about that. Maybe a poor choice of words. How about refinish to look original. The stock took a beating a couple years ago on an elk hunt in Montana. It lost some of the finish on the one side. Part of me wants to leave it the way it is because when I look at it I immediately think back to that trip. The other part of me wants to get some of the protection the finish affords back on the gun.

Craig

"Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline."

Posts: 530 | Location: Kulpmont, PA | Registered: 31 December 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
There are finishes in the brownells catalog that match the redish color of the winchester finish.

I Refinished a clear varnish coated stock that was all flaking with the idea that I wasnt going to sand any of the "beauty marks and nick" out. Stripped it with liquid paint striper and a plastic squeegy and paper towels . Coated it a few times with Dalys danish tung oil, then just wet sanded with 600 grit and linseed oil just to smooth the finish and fill any grain, careful not to sand any wood, wiped the linseed completely off. Repeated again.

Turned out way, way nicer than I expected.

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check out http://www.winrest.com. They offer a stock finish that closely resembles the pre 64 Winchester finish. I've used it in the past with pleasing results. Their website also has lots of tips and techniques on Winchester restoration.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote